Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

What did my PES chip do to my transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2001, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did my PES chip do to my transmission?

I purchased a PES chip for my 2000 A4, at the same time I also purchased thier TIP-CHIP, thinking that it would only improve the tranny.

Right away I noticed 2 things:
1. I had much more power, like a different car, its very fast.
2. I think my transmission is screwed up, when I slowly accelerate, It slams into gear very, very roughly. I am really worried about it.

I called PES, they say its not the chip, I sent the TIP CHIP back anyway; however it still is happening very often.

I took the Performance chip out and put back the stock chip and then it didn't happen at all. But, of course I need the power, so I put the PES chip back in and am sacrificing reliability so that I can enjoy the power now.

Please someone answer this and help me figure out how to fix it

CJV2552
Old 07-06-2001, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

May sound dumb, but check your tranny fluid level...oh, and describe the problem more fully...
Old 07-07-2001, 12:32 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sounds to be the chip!

If it only does it with the PES chip installed, then its got to be the chip?

Unless the increase in power has done something to the auto-transmission already?

You might want to post your problem on the A4 Forum to see if other 2000 A4 owners have had simular problems. If so, then you know its the chip, reguardless of what PES sez!
Old 07-07-2001, 06:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: What did my PES chip do to my transmission?

I have a 98 a6 w/ a pes supercharger and it also has the various chips. I had this problem about a month ago. I know i brought it to a specialized european performance shop and the sent back either one or two chips to the company and they sent back the same ones fixed or new ones at no cost except shipping. I have only had this problem twice since the replacement; i think it was just a fluke. Anyways i would suggest taking it two a european performance shop and asking their opinion. I can try to give more info if you need it.
-Greg
Old 07-07-2001, 09:04 PM

Default Known issue on DBW cars after chipping. It's the ECU chip, not the TCM chip.... (more)

The TCM chip should actually help. I assume that your ECU has Garrett chip (which PES is a reseller for). Find out which version you have. There is new version out that solves the abrupt shift/downshift problems.
Old 07-07-2001, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Its to bad your installer is not local(to you) Its not uncommon for the installer...

to need to have the correct program E-mailed to him upon install.There are a lot of programs. Each trans is different. A chip is a chip, its just the information loaded on it. I had problems with my tip install but Giac supported my installer while I waited. They got it sorted out and it has opperated flawlessly since.
Old 07-11-2001, 05:42 AM

Default Re: May sound dumb, but check your tranny fluid level...oh, and describe the problem more fully...

i purchased the pes engine chip and the tip chip at the same time.

after noticing that my transmission thumped into gear, i asked for a replacement tip chip, they sent it, but the transmission still thumped hard.
I decided to send back my tip chip and put my stock tip back in, that still didn't work. i called pes and they told me that it had to be a mechanical problem and that their engine chip would not effect the transmission.

I took the car to my dealer, but first I took out the pes engine chip and put my stock chip back in, when i did that, the car ran perfect, no thumping at all, although it was miserably slow again. The dealer said it was fine, when I got home, I put the pes chip back in and it is now happening again.

I called pes to tell them this and they said it can't be the chip and they don't know what to tell me.

I'm lost here because I know I must be sacrificing the life of my car!!!