Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

who knows about knock sensor location? any pic?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2001, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who knows about knock sensor location? any pic?

I have a NB 1.8T '01 and the torque is gone, the ECU reported a knock sensor week signal a few times, but nothing happened. Now that the engine is powerless the VW guys told me is because the sensor.
Do u think they're right? what is the function of this sensor? I've heard the Audi has two knock sensors, how many the VW 1.8T?
My warrant expires in November, and I'm waiting for replacement.
Please help!
Old 09-21-2001, 03:40 AM

Default Re: NB knock sensor location...

KS will be on the front of the block...about 8-10 inches left (towards pass. side of car) of the oil filter mount (positioned at roughly the same height as oil filter mount).

You need to know the torque specification prior to tightening the KS attachment bolt. Proper functioning of the KS is dependent on getting very close to the specified torque for that bolt.
Old 09-21-2001, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The knock sensor detects detonation

It is basically a piezoelectric crystal that is used like a microphone to listen for "pinging" or "knocking" caused by detonation in the cylinders.

Detonation is where some the fuel ignites before it is sparked by the spark plug. The remaining fuel then is sparked by the spark plug, and the two flame fronts collide. This collision causes the noise, and it is very destructive to the internals of an engine.

If a knock sensor detects knock, the signal is processed by the ECU and if it thinks it is detonation, it generally retards spark timing, and may richen the mixture as well (in closed loop mode) to cool off the insides of the engine and reduce the detonation. This is why your car feels down on power.

You might be able to test your knock sensor by tapping lightly on the block with a metal hammer while monitoring it with VW-Tool or Vag-Com. Of course you need a good one to compare against first.

Good luck.
Old 09-25-2001, 06:57 AM

Default Re: NB knock sensor location...

thank you, as soon as i get the replacement I'll tell you if the problem is solved. I hope.