Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Whos' k04 kit should I buy for my TT? Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2000, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whos' k04 kit should I buy for my TT? Any advice?

It's just that I have noticed that PES supply new injector and noone else does. Has it be discovered that they are not necessary?
Any advice would be appreciated..
TIA Marcus
Old 12-30-2000, 04:57 PM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I would get higher flow injectors over a higher PSI fuel reg anyday.

better fuel flow, more fuel flow, and less chance of detonation and pinging. More expensive though.

Make sure that they are using the right style injector. I'm sure they are, but don't let anyone convince you to use an EV6 on an engine requiring EV12's You risk a fuel leak.
Old 12-30-2000, 07:11 PM

Thanks for the advice Ed...after reading your site I may have to harrass APR
Old 12-31-2000, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

PES also sells higher flow injectors.
Old 12-31-2000, 09:29 AM

Default You probably do not need to be concerned about injectors with a K04. The stock injectors (more)

can easily handle the 225HP rating the K04s have. Unless you plan on testing the upper limits of the K04 with FMIC and the like, the basic kit from Turbo 5 or AWE will work fine. You could source the turbo & chip yourself and save $200-300 but that might be more trouble than it's worth not to mention the support you could count on with Turbo 5 and AWE.

TimA4
'98 1.8T w/everything except sport seats
K04, Wett,K&N
Oettinger 17" wheels, wing & sport exhaust
H&R springs, Bilsteins (next week)
Clear coners and debadged
Old 12-31-2000, 11:00 AM

TimA4, can you give us some driving impressions on your K04 setup?-
Old 12-31-2000, 11:04 PM

Default Well, it's all about torque really. A 3400 lb car putting out 230HP or so (more)

is not particularly earth shattering but 260ftlb of torque is! The torque is available right off idle and is strongest in the "real world" range of 2500-4000 RPM with not a trace of turbo lag. Downshifting is optional for most day to day driving situations. I never tire of giving it very slight throttle opening (like just 1/16 throttle) at 2500 RPM and feeling it pull with authority. It was a tourqey German road car I was after and that's what I got! I don't do the stop light derby thing very often anymore so my car doesn't see the north end of 5000RPM a whole lot but I can defintiely say it does run out steam up there.

My setup right now is also literally as quiet as stock. The Oettinger sport exhaust is maybe even quieter than stock. I orinally thought I would leave it in "silent" mode but have now decided to get some more character into the exhaust note and that will be my next mod. The intake is still just a K&N as I am still on the fence with the induction kit arguements. I'll go with air box mods if I don't do the induction kit.

The Wett chip also smoothed out the stock idle a lot. No more hunting. I'd say smoother overall, too. Fuel mileage is unchanged.

I've only had the car for 6 months now and the K04 for three but I have no regrets whatsoever on the car or the K04 mods. I should also add that I had a tight budget to work with and a big part of the attraction of the A4/K04 combo was cost.

TimA4
'98 1.8T w/everything
K04, Wett, K&N
Oettinger 17" wheels, wing and sport exhaust
H&R, Bilsteins (next week)
Clear corners, de-badged
Old 01-01-2001, 08:41 AM

most excellent review- thanks...the K04 is my new years resolution!
Old 01-01-2001, 01:02 PM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Default There are a couple downsides to larger injectors....

1. The greater flow means reprogramming the ECU to deal with the lower duty cycle. Otherwise you'll flood your engine.

2. The lower duty cycle hoses some of the information that the trip computer reports, like gas mileage; APR is working on the correction to this.

3. APR will probably custom program for a K04, but then you are paying by the hour, and they will need your car to do it.

4. The APR Stage 3 for the TT may be out now or soon. Worth a call.
Old 01-01-2001, 08:44 PM
Elder Member

Default You are talking about an A4, when Marcus asked about a TT . ..

The K04 in the A4 and the K04 in the TT are two different turbos and get totally different results on a dyno. The A4 gets around 230hp as you said. The TT is closer to 260hp!

PES uses the injectors because they think they are needed. AWE does not think they are needed since they are not included in their kit.

The funny thing about both kits is that AWE developed both kits with Garrett at the AWE shop on the AWE dyno. It was a PES customer though that bought the first K04 and hence it was a joint development!

AWE includes a different fuel pressure regulator though.

I have been told that the TT injectors flow more than enough fuel for 300hp, so I would not worry too much about the injectors at this point. All you need is the German TT K04, an FPR and Garrett's software.

Quick Reply: Whos' k04 kit should I buy for my TT? Any advice?