Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

will a driveline stabilizer promote (unwanted) understeer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will a driveline stabilizer promote (unwanted) understeer?
Old 10-24-2001, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't see how, does'nt effect the suspension.
Old 10-24-2001, 08:48 AM

Default It shouldn't.

It'll allow the front suspension to better serve it's purpose and thus allowing more front grip. It definitely makes a difference. Audi added a brace from 99.5 and on.
Old 10-24-2001, 11:10 AM

Having the engine ahead of the front axle does that.
Old 10-24-2001, 12:37 PM

Default On a more serious note...

Yes, anything that stiffens one end of the chassis will promote less traction in that same end. However, AWE provides no actual data (nor do they claim) supporting the idea that chassis flex is reduced.
Old 10-24-2001, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

thats what i was thinking
Old 10-24-2001, 12:56 PM

Default Re: On a more serious note...

That's questionable. Stiffening up the spring rates/shocks or sway bars at a end will reduce the allowable slip angle on the tires. But stiffening up the chasis might be different. If the mounting points of the suspension is allowed to flex, you will change the optimal intended geometry of the suspension and potentially decrease traction at that end. A good example would be aftermarket bushings. Simular to braces they allow less flex but doesn't result in a loss of traction. Rather better responce and improved traction.

The rule of thumb of "stiffening up one end to reduce traction" is too general to be applied to everything. It's true for spring/shock/sway bars but chasis braces is a different story.

Many fwd cars add strut tower braces and lower braces to stiffen up the front part of the chasis for better responce and to IMPROVE traction. Maintaining the proper susp geometry is important for optimal traction.
Old 10-24-2001, 02:33 PM

Default Lol, well for any circumstance there are hyperbolic cases...

Yes, some japanese auto bodies are super flexy. From my experience with Mazdas, chassis reinforcement is a necessity.

Is the chassis so flexy that the body will flex beyond the camber optimum or some suspension design limit? Not in my experience. Or, additively with bushing slop? Possibly.

But that is all hyperbole.

The point is that if you make an end of the chassis stiffer, it transfers weight faster. The weight transfer "goes" from the stiffer end to the softer end. Say, as in this case, we stiffen the front (this bar is not designed to do this, BTW). The front will understeer worse, because it will lose traction WELL before the rear. Now that is stiffer it will transfer faster instead of bending.

If the bending were severe enough to actually dampen the weight transfer, as in your model, ANYTHING that would stiffen the chassis would STILL increase understeer.

How do I know this? Because when you put a full-cage, with attachment point reinforcement, the chassis becomes stiffer and you can literally feel the end stiffen up. I don't have to change the attachment points of the suspension to compensate for the new stiffness or change the alingment, but I will typically change sway bar rates.
Old 10-25-2001, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

if your interested in one, clubb5.com might interest you GB section