Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

will the S4 maf work with a 1.8T DBW A4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will the S4 maf work with a 1.8T DBW A4?

I am considering making my won big turbo kit, but it seems like the one part that might make things difficult is the MAF.
Old 12-06-2002, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No, the MAF is easy....

it's the chip that's hard.
Old 12-07-2002, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yeah, I'm dissapointed in the failed PES group buy

their price wasn't so great adn people all backed out. So now I'm looking for another alternative. I'm not sure if I can handle someething custom on my only car. It seems to complicated and there is a possibility of a lot of downtime.
Old 12-07-2002, 08:41 AM

Default Seems to me that other than the 'tried and true' kits most guys spend a while getting up and running

I have to think going custom on your only ride would be a real PITA.
Old 12-07-2002, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agreed, only if you are doing a 2.0L and then...you really have no choice...

but the most important part is having a good shop to do the tuning at. They might charge 100/hour to get the tuning done correctly.

I think the tried and true kits are best for the non-hardcore enthusiasts (i.e non-XR4Tic folks ) like me, who know a bit, understand the fundamentals, but ultimately cannot tinker.

That said, id love to buy a LINK ECU for my Miata and learn how to do everything myself with just some dyno time....to bad a LINK ECU is over a grand in price

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 12-07-2002, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm at a crossroad right now

having DBW adds another dimension of confusion. I like both kits. I like how PES is more agressive in software tuning, has the intake, larger MAF and larger injectors. I like APR's manifold, BB turbo and EMCS. And then there is ATP, no one has anyting good to say abotu themadn no one has their stuffthat I know of. But their prices are rediculously low and they seem to use quality hardware. So if they get their software right, they might be a decent option too. If PES were GB price was $3000 or APR was $3500, this would be easier.

I realize the custom kit is not going to cost effective. I've been tempted to sell my CBR to mod my car, but that isn't what i really want to do.
Old 12-07-2002, 01:47 PM

Default I don't think I'd sell my CBR to mod my car. I enjoy the hell out of my car w/ the Stg III but I get

far too much enjoyment from the bike to sell it merely to mod the car.
Old 12-07-2002, 02:48 PM
Elder Member

Default But I dont think ATP has dbw software for your car, since they are still trying to work on

tuning the non dbw kits. Your better off just going with a kit that has been tuned already and then mod up from there.
Old 12-07-2002, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yeah.. I hear ya, by the time ATP has what I want, for my car, with software

that is working right, it might be a moot point. This leaves me back to my 2 choices. I'm going in circles.
Old 12-07-2002, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well, here's my take

No one car can do everything. I have a Miata as my fun car (and daily driver). It's silly how fun and loud she is What is effort in the A4 is second nature in the Miata. Every local Audi friend who has driven it (except Mark because its too slow for him ) loves it, to the point of wanting one. Im sure the CBR is that same type of visceral kick in the buttocks. They must be a real hoot on nice summer days.

I need one to appreciate the other to the fullest...don't sell your bike if you get fun and use out of it, you will kick yourself later. There are times when i think of what i could do with the ~7k id get from my Miata (heck i could finish the Audi and have $$ to spare)...but i know come summer when i want to drop the top and hang the rear end out...there will be no Miata

As always, give Skene an email, explain your situation...tell him that you were ready to buy at the GB price, and that if he can give you that price, you will buy. That is what id do...a sale is a sale. What i like about PES is the small size...just a few folks, so talk to em. Id try that with APR as well...but since PES had that sale price, there's a chance they may honor it, etc...

In terms of ATP, your best resource is VWVortex. Read the 1.8T and the MkIV boards to get an idea. Their product hardware is good, but im not too sure about the software. Their kits are perfect for the tinkerer who's comfortable fabbing some stuff to get the right fitment, and who does not mind doing some tuning to boot. BTW there are a few Stage 4 ATP GTIs for sale in the classifieds as well, check em out.

Look at PES and APR as "premium" tuners who sell turn-key kits...kits which install exactly, and the motor turns over on the first crank (if you followed the directions). Figure that extra price is to eliminate any guesswork or fabrication on your part.

If you owned the A4 as a project car then id do ATP or XR4tic style custom project...where you don't mind even a few months downtime. One summer when i have a garage i intend to do that sort of work on my Miata...a good car to learn on, simple, reliable, and cheap. Id love to build the engine to take more boost, then put on a cold-side JRSC, with a big boost pulley, header, hi-flow cat, etc...

Finally remember there is always next year...depending upon your house purchase. Honestly, do it before the house, or you won't be able to...houses are too important to be spending thousands on a house. I am doing just that. Well, my relationship of 7 years fell apart which helped in that decision

Cheers,
Sameer

Quick Reply: will the S4 maf work with a 1.8T DBW A4?