Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

x-post: Need help diagnosing potential turbo problem (long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2001, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default x-post: Need help diagnosing potential turbo problem (long)

I have noticed a problem that is some how boost related. I have a 1999.5 1.8tqms the car is NOT chipped and I have no engine related mods accept for the K&N panel filter, and a boost gauge. When the car is started in the morning all is fine. If I rev the engine to 3000+ rpm's (in neutral) everything still sounds fine. When I start to drive and accelerate, a whirring noise occurs. NO, it is not the usual turbo spooling up. It is more pronounced like a "weed-eater/trimmer" would make. At first I thought it could just be from the belts, but I noticed that it is independent of the RPM's, It happens with increasing intensity when turbo boost is between 0 and 7 PSI. After the boost decreases, even though the RPM's remain unchanged, the noise decreases and ultimately disappears once the boost is in vacuum. This happens for about the first 5 minutes of driving (which seems to be about 20 to 30 cycles of the turbo spooling up.) It happens regardless of the outside temperature or how long I warm up the car.

I am concerned because I have only 900 miles left of warranty. The only way a dealer would be able to duplicate this is if I leave the car overnight and take them on a drive in the morning. I am actually thinking about wiring a microphone into the engine compartment to record it. Has anyone heard this? Is my turbo about to fail? With the exception of the noise, the car and the turbo seems to operate smoothly.
Old 07-31-2001, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Have them check all your vacum connections. Might be a leak somewhere.

Also are you running a stock DV? If you are have them check that as well. It would be best to take the car in ASAP since you warranty is about to expire. That would suck if you had something go bad right after the damn thing expires. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 07-31-2001, 02:38 PM

Default I hate Audi service...

I called to set appointment and they are "taking appointments for August 27th". So I explain that my warranty will have expired by then and they said a tech will call me to talk about the problem. Never called me. Love the car, hate the service. It seems like a year or two ago they didn't have such a backlog but now it's crazy.
Old 07-31-2001, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Its called smooth Marketing. Free maintenance at their convenience. Why don't..

you call AOA and explain your situation to them. Also why try to call other dealers in the area and see if you can get something ealier. A 2 week wait I understand but a 4 week wait, naaa F..k DAT. Or you can just kiss some *** at your regular dealership, bring em some donuts :-) Good luck