Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Community Discussion > Photography Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anybody have a good article the explains how Canon's wireless flashes work?

Anybody have a good article the explains how Canon's wireless flashes work?

Old 02-17-2009, 10:08 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody have a good article the explains how Canon's wireless flashes work?

I was messing around with a trio of 580's over the weekend, trying to get comfortable using multiple flashes. I found one of the two off camera flashes would be delayed when I took a picture. The flash which was delayed seemed inconsistent (sometimes it was #1, other times #2). The manual has limited knowledge buried in it.

I thought they used infared to communicate, meaning you need line of site, but the delay didn't always seem to correspond to what I might have expected given the layout of the room and flashes, and their orientation relative to the master unit. I just feel like I'm missing something the manual isn't telling me.

Oh, what I learned after an hour of playing: Multiple off camera flashes just mean there are more bad ways for me to take a photograph! Heh.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I've only played with 1 off camera 580 triggered by 1 on camera 580..so im no help.

....but i'm also interested in this...so i'm tracking the thread.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:16 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Can you buy one more and get back to me?

:-P

I need to do more reading on strobist. My initial results were terrible! Shadows everywhere! Flashes seemingly firing in wierd ways that I wouldn't have expected. I don't know.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:18 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

So what did you do? Give up and go manual with radio triggers or give up altogether?
Old 02-17-2009, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I simply do not understand why people undertake strobe photography before

graduating from a hot light setup. Yeah, it's cooler, but more complicated to control the strobe without really knowing how to manage light from multiple sources.

Specially flash heads that have different characteristics than a real setup.

Oh, and I don't know anything about the CCS (Canon communication system) ;-P

I figure that the day will never come when I sink an additional 4 bills into a flash and simply go to a real strobe system + pocketwizards.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Id need to buy 3. The other 2 were lent to me by a friend for a few weeks.

Only got the 430ex now..in anticipation for the 580 master....eventually.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Maestro

Default Canon flashes communicate with each other not by infrared but through pre-flashes

It's the ST-e2 that communicates via infrared.

I don't know of an article on this, but it should be fairly straight forward.

Make sure that all the flashes are controlled by the master (you don't set anything on the slaves themselves, other than setting them to slave mode, assigning the channel and a/b/c designation.

Power ratio etc are all set on the master. Assigning ratio can get tricky (figuring out which is which), but otherwise no rocket science.

You won't see the final settings on the slave flashes until you fire the main flash - then it will transmit the settings to the slaves.

No idea what could cause the delay you are describing, sorry
Old 02-17-2009, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No idea - I much prefer the radio controlled method

Cactus, Cybersync, Radio Popper, PW, whatever. Sure, you give up ETTL, but you have FULL control over your setup. Even better is to use them with real strobes.

I'll either use my 430 on camera only, or my Sunpaks off camera only - I rarely mix them. I could use the 430 to trigger the Sunpaks via optical slaves, but I don't want the output from the 430 interfering.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Cool
Old 02-17-2009, 11:35 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Well, I got them set up fine...

they were working, and in a few cases, I got the results I was expecting, but other times I didn't. If they only use preflashes to communicate, then I'm thoroughly confused by what I saw. Considering I was indoors at night and didn't have anything other than ambient incandescent lighting to interfere, there shouldn't have been any delays.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anybody have a good article the explains how Canon's wireless flashes work?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: