Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Community Discussion > Photography Discussion
Reload this Page >

Which CF/SD card is best for your camera?

Which CF/SD card is best for your camera?

Old 03-12-2009, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which CF/SD card is best for your camera?

<ul><li><a href="http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007">You may be surprised. (Not sure how I managed to not see this before)</a></li></ul>
Old 03-12-2009, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Whats your take on this?

Its a long read with little useable info... Post some photos!
Old 03-12-2009, 09:23 AM

Default Heh...

If you go to the drop down menu upper right it gives a chart for each camera with the test results. SDHC is much faster than CF and card size def. slows down the cards. The drop in speed is dramatic.

1dmk3:

SanDisk Xtreme III 4gb SDHC 13.6 mb/s
SanDisk Xtreme III 4gb CF 9.4 mb/s
SanDisk Extrmem IV gb CF 10.5 mb/s

While it may not seem like a big deal for some people, if you shoot high speed bursts and fill the buffer on a regular basis the write speed matters. It effects how many shots in a sequence as well as how long it takes for the camera to be ready to fire another sequence.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Depends on the body. 1DM3 doesn't support UDMA, so the transfer speeds are not stellar

Look at 1DsM3 for comparison. The fastest SD card is 13th.

Also look at the newest bodies. For example the 5DM2, 50D and D3x have huge transfer speeds compared to older bodies.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:44 AM

Default Yeah...

I just thought it was interesting to see how the various cards performed in various cameras. Never really gave it much thought. Have a stash of SanDisk extreme 3 4gb CF's that I've been shooting for ever but will switch to the sd's now.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Yeah...

Yup. The latest SDHC cards are definitely faster than the older Extreme 3 CF cards on the 1DM3, so they are a very good choice.

I've been using both old and new CF cards and SDHC cards on the 1DsM3. The 300x UDMA CF cards are the fastest, followed by SDHC cards. Older CF cards are the slowest. My old non-UDMA SanDisk Extreme III and IV CF cards are a bit faster than my medium-speed Transcend Class6 SDHC card but slower than the new SanDisk SDHC cards.

In the next couple of years we'll see the new generation of both CF and SD cards and the transfer speeds will sky-rocket. The new CFast standard supports interface data rates up to 3Gb/sec...
Old 03-12-2009, 10:20 AM

Default Is it accurate to assume the industry is moving towards using SDHC instead of CF?

At least in the cameras that don't support both? Also, it seems like the size of the card makes a difference. What is a good standard size you guys are using? I have a 4gb and 8gb CF card right now.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, I would think so.

I believe that in the near future the CF/CFast cards will be used mainly on pro DSLRs and the SDHC/SDXC cards will be used for pretty much everything else (dslrs, point&amp;shoots, mobile phones, laptops, portable media players etc.)

Both new formats offer huge storage capacities and fast transfer rates, so it's difficult to say if there's room or need for two competing standards. CFast cards are probably a bit more durable for heavy pro use and abuse but SDXC cards will most certainly dominate the market.

At the moment I have:
2 16GB CF cards
1 16GB SDHC card
3 8 GB CF cards
1 8 GB SDHC card

I'm mostly using my 16GB cards, the others are for emergencies. Most people prefer using smaller cards for safety but I'm too lazy to switch cards all the time when I'm on the road
Old 03-12-2009, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'd say no because the multi-level cells used in SDHC cards are slower than

the single-level cells used in the high end CF cards. If you look at the ExpressCard34 readers CF vs SDHC you see a peak of 44MB/s compared to 20MB/s. That's a huge performance gap.

My guess is that no prosumer camera will drop CF support in the near future, unless a new technology comes out that can do striped-writes across two (or more) SD cards to match the speed of CF.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Write speed is only important if you're shooting continously until you hit the internal

buffer limit. A fast card will empty the buffer quicker and allow you to shoot again sooner than if you were using a slower card. The most likely scenario where you'd need high FPS and fast write speeds would be for sports/action, trying to get that one magic moment. Personally I've only hit the buffer limit on my D300 once and that was trying to capture a hummingbird feeding. For the 15,000 other photos, I could've had a 1MB/s card and not noticed it one bit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which CF/SD card is best for your camera?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: