Reload this Page >

Commercial Photo BT: GF and i were out for dinner last night

Commercial Photo BT: GF and i were out for dinner last night

Old 03-14-2009, 06:00 AM
TRM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Commercial Photo BT: GF and i were out for dinner last night

at a local restaurant. it's one of those places that was kinda' trendy when it opened years ago, but because the food has always been stellar (lots of seafood specialties) it has been very successful and you always need a reservation on Friday and Saturdays.

they rotate artwork on the walls about every 3 months. the GF says my stuff should be on these walls...it's much better (yes she's biased). i asked the one partner/owner how do i get my photos on your walls and she was very nice. gave me the other owners number and some additional details.

now before i even call this guy to have him sample my work i need to determine how best to show him. if i bring in my laptop with a simple gallery is that good? or should i get a proof book made of some of my best stuff?

maybe plan on both?

she stated he's probably got the next 6-9 months covered already with other artists work...which works out great for me as it would take me a few months to get prints and frames done anyway. we're looking at about 15 prints in large format if i got the entire restaurant for the 3 months. my interior designer GF would of course help with picking prints and the frames to blend nicely with the restaurant decor. it will be some $$$ on my end though, which i don't mind. maybe i'd even sell a print and it'd be fun to see my stuff on some walls in public.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:08 AM

Link to your website?
Old 03-14-2009, 06:39 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I would get 100 or so images in an online gallery.

don't inundate him with hundreds of images, just pick out the stuff you're really fond of. If he wants proofs, that's easy enough once you know what set you'd like to show him.

It will be expensive on your end, but if you want to try this as a medium to get work, it may work out. I spent close to $500 to get 10 8x12 images matted and framed for display in some local restaurants. Frankly I'd love to go large with some of these images, but it's just stupid expensive. Take a look at Michaels when they have 50% off sales. You can get some really sweet deals on simple frames. I hate their mats, so I just went online for the mats I needed and ordered in bulk to keep costs down.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:34 AM
TRM
AudiWorld Super User

in sig
Old 03-14-2009, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

you ought to show them prints, it's unpossible to judge images on a computer monitor
Old 03-16-2009, 07:45 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default You could also make the case that it's hard to appreciate an image in 4x6 print.

If he's going to show them an "album" of his work, he can showcase it in a larger size via an online gallery (provided navigation is fluid and simple), as most people have a relatively large display. Frankly, I would prefer this medium and would only show physical prints if they request it.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i meant they should be shown matted, in their actual presentation size, ...

if they go on the wall at 4x4 or 4x6, then that is fine,
... and preferable by far, than on a computer monitor.

72 pixels per inch is simply inadequate.
it makes it impossible to tell if the image is quality or crap.

a computer monitor ruins a good photograph, and can hide lack of sharpness in a poor one.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:55 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

That will be defined by Tim's budget.