Looking for a new camera?

Old 02-05-2009, 11:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a new camera?

My wife and I are considering taking some photography classes and would like to know what camera we should get?

I would think that I may be willing to spend about $500-$600 on a camera. I don't know how much we'll get into this but I've always wanted to take great pictures and never knew how.

I could spend more but I want to be I'd like to know what I'd get for the above price first and then possibly consider spending more if it would get us a even more equiped camera.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

I just went through that and ended up spending $770 on a Nikon D80
Old 02-06-2009, 05:49 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default hard to say...

You're right at the price point where you get out of P&S cameras (albeit advanced ones) and into SLR's. You can use any camera with manual controls to start learning about photography, so even a good P&S will work well. If you later decide you want an SLR, you'll probably always want a compact P&S for snapshots when an SLR becomes tedious to carry.

Getting an SLR right now may be a waste of money if you later decide you're not as interested as you originally thought. More than likely, if you go this path, you'll be slightly over budget for an entry level camera.

So first you have to make a decision...P&S or SLR.

If you want to know the benefits of an SLR, you'll need to start searching and reading. It's hard to grasp without actually taking pictures or having a foundational knowledge, but I've written several concise explanations in this forum that break it down in somewhat simple terms (sorry, too lazy to search for the links). I think the last one I wrote might have been in the last 2 weeks or so.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:24 AM

Default More...

Raj is spot on. From what I'm hearing something like a Canon G10 should suit you to a T. It has full manual controls and takes astounding photos. In fact it's long since outdated ancestor the G7 has taken images that have run in National Geographic so image quality is not an issue. User talent is. These cameras bridge Point and shoot / dslr very nicely.

I'd get a G10 and use it in full manual mode to gain an understanding of proper exposure, depth of field etc. Then if you find that this is something you really like you can invest in a more robust dSLR system. Even if you decide to move into a dSLR the G10 will still be a great camera to have when carrying a dSLR is more of a pain then a pleasure. if you find that it's not something you like you have a great point and shoot camera.

Another advantage is that starting with a G10 vs. a really basic dSLR is a nice way to skip the entry level dSLR that you'd probably find yourself wanting to upgrade pretty quickly if it's something you really like. In all honesty a G10 probably has better image quality than a basic DSLR and the kit lens that comes with it.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I agree more. Virtually the only benefit an entry level DSLR has vs a G10 is no shutter lag.

on kit glass at least.

I started on a Fuji S9100 advanced digital P&S. It was WONDERFUL in teaching me about exposure...and i did eventually upgrade to a DSLR and sell the EVF for a good return.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree 100% on the G10. I started out with a Canon G5, then a G7, G9...

as my first 'enthusiast' digital cameras and I was quite content with the Canon G-series for a several years. Before that I've only had digital P&S and a non-digital film SLR. Only recently did I make a leap to the DSLR world via a D700 and even then I still find good use out of the G9.

So until you learn more about photography, I believe a G10 or similar enthusiast compact camera will satisfy most of your needs without being too limiting, not to mention it's a hell of a lot easier to carry everywhere.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I've already have a Canon SD600 p&s camera but I want something in addition to this one.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:16 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default You're still in the same boat...

The only thing that changes is you don't need pocketable. But you'll still want something that offers manual controls for learning. You have to decide whether you want to jump in the SLR pool right now. Truth laid it out for you. G10 is a great in-between, and allows you time to learn. While the entry level SLR cameras are great, he's right, those users comfortable with an SLR often go one level up from the entry level. A canon 40D is one generation old, and a level up from an entry level camera, but I'd have no reservations about recommending it to someone today. But again, at your stage, it seems silly to spend SLR money if you don't even know why you might like one or whether you'll like photography.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What about one of these?

<ul><li><a href="http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?whse=BC&amp;topnav=&amp;prodid=112793 09&amp;ec=BC-EC877-CatHome&amp;pos=11&amp;lang=en-US">http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?whse=BC&amp;topnav=&amp;prodid=112793 09&amp;ec=BC-EC877-Ca
Old 02-07-2009, 06:29 PM

ysati

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for a new camera?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: