Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Community Discussion > Photography Discussion
Reload this Page >

Not to sound like a noob, but....

Not to sound like a noob, but....

Old 02-12-2009, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not to sound like a noob, but....

how do you properly situation your camera in a bag? What is your goal with positioning the camera in the bag?

At the moment I only have the camera body and kit lens to store.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Elder Member

Default noob

nt
Old 02-12-2009, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The camera and lens mounted or the rest of the gear too?

Depends on which bag I'm carrying. If it's the R103 then all of my gear is in it and I have it setup so that the camera can be in the bag with any lens mounted. It's nice to be able to put the camera in the bag without having to swap lenses.

With the DR467 then I've got less gear and the camera can only be in the bag with a short lens mounted. So if I'm shooting with the 70-200 I need to swap lenses to put the camera away. Most of the time the camera is around my neck anyway so it's not much of a problem that I might need to swap lenses to put it away. If it's going back in the bag I'm probably done with it. Exceptions are when I need both hands free for scrambling or climbing.

The goal for me is to keep the gear protected and also make it easy to get to everything. That's why the R103 is nice, it holds everything, is built like a tank, and holds the camera in any configuration. The DR467 is a bit of a compromise but it is smaller and lighter and has features that make life easier while hiking(spot for water bottle, room for snacks and stuff).
Old 02-12-2009, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default The bag I bought is snug, but fits the D80 with kit lens...

if I buy a flash or another lens... I don't think this bag is going to work for me.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There is no single perfect bag :)

The Kata DR467 which has a lower compartment for cameras and an upper for whatever. In the lower compartment I've got the 70-200, 10-22 and 50 in pockets. The camera fits in there with the 24-105 mounted (or the 10-22). Up top I've got filters and a few cleaning accessories and then room for food or whatever. It's pretty well maxed out with that though, if I get more gear then something has to stay home. The Kata R103 still has more room so I'd be ok there.

My fiancee has a Tenba Shootout Medium which is slightly larger than my R103 but she has two bodies, one for IR and the other color, so needs to carry more gear. All depends on how much you have and how much you need to carry for that day.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Well I'm not quite there yet :)

just a camera body, lens, filter, and I have my P&S in the bag as well.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Then something small and cheap that will carry everything and protect it should be good

This site will keep you busy for hours. Check out a local shop and try some of the bags out. You'll probably find you have a preference for one particular layout over others (ie clamshell backed vs traditional backpack) or maybe not even want a backpack style bag at all. There are a ton of options available.<ul><li><a href="http://www.cambags.com/">http://www.cambags.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 02-12-2009, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Not to sound like a noob, but....

I got this one, fits a good bit of gear and best of all it does not stand out as a camera bag...<ul><li><a href="http://www.amazon.com/Crumpler-MILLION-DOLLAR-Shoulder-Oatmeal/dp/B000W8U3ZC">http://www.amazon.com/Crumpler-MILLION-DOLLAR-Shoulder-Oatmeal/dp/B000W8U3ZC</a</li></ul>
Old 02-12-2009, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I picked up a Lowepro Mini-Trecker (I think) backpack

All I have are the body and two lenses, and it works great. There's customizable partitions to keep everything separated. Plus there's a **** ton of room, so it'll suffice for a long long time. I picked it up from the local camera store, but they gave it to me for the same price B&amp;H had it at (~$130)
Old 02-12-2009, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default 2 things...

1) I love your sig pic!

2) I have heard the name Lowerpro as a quality product for camera bags. I think for now I'm gonna stick with the bag that I got. If I pickup another lens and/or flash I'll probably step up and get something better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Not to sound like a noob, but....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: