Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Community Discussion > Photography Discussion
Reload this Page >

Opening the Box on my new Camera

Opening the Box on my new Camera

Old 03-18-2009, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opening the Box on my new Camera

Ok guys, I finally took the plunge a few weeks ago and picked up my first DSLR, a Nikon D90. The most expensive camera I've ever purchased, but certainly not the most expensive toy I've ever played with. In the past week I've purchased about $3k in guns and had no problem getting them out to the range for T&E. So I'm a little surprised - perhaps embarrassed - that I can't seem to bring myself to taking the camera out of the box and getting this DSLR learning thing going.

Once you've stopped laughing at my "dilemma" I wanted to know if there's anything I should add to the camera before I finally get the thing out of the box, mount one of the two lenses that came with it, and start exploring. I recall that when I purchased my point and shoot a few years back, it was recommended that I purchase a filter to serve more as a lens protector than anything else. Assume that would apply to the infinitely more expensive lenses I have and will be picking up in the future for the D90. Any particular model/size/type recommended? I'm obviously brand new to this and am in the process of immersing myself in any learning aids I can find, but for right now I figure I just need to take the damn thing out of the box and start snapping. Thanks!
Old 03-18-2009, 01:35 PM

Take it out and start learning, you wont damage the thing. =) As far as the UV protector filter, I have heard it is a good idea. I got one on my more expensive lens and just checked Canon's website for size recommendations and picked one up online, but it is not required for you to hold off. It takes a long time to learn things on the camera. Take it from me, I am as new as you and have shot a ton of shots and am on my 3rd book. You need to start getting used to your camera. =) Enjoy it.. certainly be careful with it, but don't be afraid to use ii.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:58 PM
zqk

first learn how to adjust all the camera controls and settings. once you're familiar with that, you can then go out and play with your camera.

and yeah, a UV filter is a good idea to protect the glass