Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Community Discussion > Photography Discussion
Reload this Page >

Question about buying a camera used...

Question about buying a camera used...

Old 02-09-2009, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about buying a camera used...

Looking at buying a Canon 40D from CL. Anything in particular I should look for, aside from the camera turning on and taking pictures? Obviously I am dealing with a cash transaction and not pocket change, so I want to make sure everything is ok with the camera. How about if looking at a lens? Just make sure no scratches? Any info you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default if it's local, confirm the shutter actuation count...

maybe using what was posted a few threads down:
<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/photo/msgs/46285.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/photo/msgs/46285.phtml</a>

As for lens, if AF, check to make sure it autofocuses properly and inspect both the front and rear elements for damage. Check the manual focus operation, listen if there's any grinding on the focus ring and if it turns smoothly. If it's a zoom, check that operation as well. Check for any unusual creep, although some lens have some degree of zoom creep even when new. Open up the aperture ring and look through the lens under bright light, check for mildew, signs of excessive moisture infiltration, Shake it gently to see if there's anything loose inside, although some lens do rattle a bit even when new.

At this point, if the person who is trying to sell you the lens was in front of you the whole time, notice the "wtf?!" look in their face while you scrutinize their lens like a jeweler with ocd.