Trying to Decide on a Camera

Old 02-22-2009, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to Decide on a Camera

Guys, per the link below I've been on the lookout for a decent camera to kick off my introduction into DSLR photography. Since I've pretty much been a point and shoot guy so far, the plan is to get into some classes to figure out the basics and hopefully continue learning as my skills improve. With a visit to St. Louis to see my 2.5 year old coming up this weekend and with some decent deals available now, I'm looking to buy something tomorrow.

I'm torn between the D300 (good deal at Costco per a post from someone here a few days ago), and a 50D, which when combined with a lens is right around the price of the D300 (body only). My question isn't the old which is better...but whether I'm losing much by going with the 50D, and which camera allows me to grow more (both in its capabilities and available lenses). Lets assume that a few years down the road, thoroughly hooked on DSLR photography, I'll be looking to move up to a better camera or better yet, add a second camera. For my purposes right now, does the lesser priced 50D represent a good starting point, or am I better of paying the $200 or so extra for the D300.

Finally, I'm sure many of you have one or the other for whatever personal reasons. My question to all of you is whether you somehow found yourself committed to one brand, and if so, what led you to that point. Thanks in advance!<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/photo/msgs/44108.phtml">Looking for a DSLR</a></li></ul>
Old 02-23-2009, 05:57 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Have you considered a 40D instead?

I'm still not convinced the 50D brings anything significant to the table over the 40D, and if I could save a few hundred dollars, I'd choose the 40D hands down over the 50D.

If you intend to do any sports photography or birds in flight type photos, you might find the frame rate and auto-focusing system in the Nikon more capable. The rest of the comparisons between the two camera lines is harder to explain and perhaps insignificant to the new dSLR user as both cameras should be more than sufficient.

As far as lenses, both offer a wide variety of lenses and the third party lens manufacturers also offer plenty of other options for you. I happen to love Canon's 70-200 zooms, which span an affordable $600 to not-so-affordable $1600, all offering impressive image quality. Nikon on the other hand, gives you one option, the $1600 lens (which is equally nice as the top of the line canon lens). There are a couple other differences in offerings that are significant, but those lenses are north of $3K and probably not worth consideration.

To recap, I'd try to save a few bucks with the 40D. If you're afraid you're not buying enough camera, remember, their entry level Rebel models are the one's they cripple feature-wise, and they are still capable of outstanding images. You're going one step up with the 40/50D models.

Another option to throw into the mix, which might be more similar to the 40/50D, is the D90 from Nikon. But that might make the decision more difficult. Remember, you're better off sacrificing a little in terms of the body, and spending that extra money on better lenses once you have a better footing in photography. So don't feel bad being cheap now, you'll have an opportunity to spend later while keeping the same body.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You really ought to go try both and decide which you like better.

Nikon and Canon have significantly different ideas on how to layout a camera. Also, ignore the MP differences between the cameras.

The D300 costs more but gets you a pro level AF system, better weather sealing, built in wireless flash controller (the pop up flash can act as a master to control external, remote flashes), 8fps if you use the vertical grip and bigger battery plus a few other features. Once again though, it costs more.

Plus, you really need to look at what system you buy into because for almost everyone, once you own a body and a few lenses, you're not going to buy the other brand.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:19 AM

Default Get the 40D and spend the money on some good lenses...

I was looking at the 50D myself, and ended up buying a used 40D with lens from CL. However, if you don't have that option, just buy the 40D body and spend your money on a couple good lens choices. From reading tons of reviews I don't think the 50D is worth the extra money, especially given it actually does worst in high ISO settings.

If you spend a ton on the body, you will find money tight when buying the lens. Remember that you have a ton of other stuff to buy as a starter. I just purchased a 17-55mm for my 40D and got a tripod, carrying case, extra battery, extra CF card etc.

You will not find the limitations of the 40D for a while, so get it and some good lens choices and see how you feel in a couple years when you have mastered the camera.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:52 AM

Default on that note.... I havent really noticed the limitations on my 30D either....

At the novice/beginner level I am not encountering much regret with that body.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's exactly what I was thinking Pablo

That once I select one, I'm kinda committed to the brand, particularly once I start buying lenses. You've given me plenty to think about here. Appreciate the info.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'll fess up to being a "latest version" kinda guy

but you and Kublah are making a lot of sense. One of my main concerns is lens availability, lens pricing, and the ability to carry the lenses over with me to whatever camera I eventually "upgrade to" down the road. That might not be too big of a deal as I'll probably hang on to this first camera even if I do upgrade down the road. I'll take a look at the 40D today and go from there. If I can get a body, plus two decent lenses, along with a good bag, flash cards (bipod is another matter and I need to do some searches here before figuring that out), for roughly the price of the 50D with kit lens or the D300 body only, that sounds like a winner to me. As of 1340 eastern, and based on the comments here, I'm leaning towards the 40/50D with the Nikon D90 in the mix pending further research. Thanks again for pointing me in solid direction.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:24 AM

Default Nikon D300... for a $200 diff it's a camera you will NEVER out grow!

I have a D200 and have used the D300 a few times... If you are looking for or feel you need a DSLR "Prosumer" camera then Buy This Camera!!
The D300 is a backup pro camera. It really is a camera you will never out grow....
The D40 as mentioned is also a GREAT starter DSLR...
One of my many reasons for choosing Nikon is, well my dad, but really Nikon produces the best glass on the market. Thier lens are excellent!
Old 02-23-2009, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ok Fellas - Good Deal?

at $1599?<ul><li><a href="http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11318653&amp;whse=BC&amp;topna v=&amp;cat=06&amp;b=1&amp;lang=en-US">Costco D90 Package Deal</a></li></ul>
Old 02-23-2009, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Costco is almost always a decent deal but I haven't priced those.

Compare those prices to B&amp;H, jr.com, buydig.com, adorama, etc.

The 70-300VR is a pretty decent lens. Not great but good. I don't know about the 18-105 but check this web site.<ul><li><a href="http://www.bythom.com">http://www.bythom.com</a</li></ul>