Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

Trade in Summer 21 for 20?

Old 03-19-2019, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade in Summer 21 for 20?

Current Volvo XC90 (no suspension) 19in run flat driver but planning on purchasing a fully loaded 2017 Prestige Q7 with air suspension and 21 in summer sport rims with new tires (Pirelli) in the USA.

I imagine most would be thrilled with those tires, but I'm much more focused on the smoothest ride quality. The answer then presumably would be 20in would be better, but here is my scenario.

Firstly, they come with 21, so would need to sell these (along with the new tires), and then buy 20in oem rims and new tires, which is a bit involved.

Second the 20 would be run flats presumably (which for me is a positive since I'd rather know I can keep driving to safety), but downside being run flats are louder/less smooth than non run flats like the 21. I assume in that scenario 20 is still overall smoother/quiter?

I live in New Hampshire. Hot summers, cold snowy winters. I absolutely will get snow tires and wheels for winter. Assume I'd have to get 20 since 19 wouldn't be oem for prestige and assume wouldn't look well on prestige?

21 will lose tread faster and new tires will cost more in the negative side.

21 look more stylish, which is nice plus, but less concerning compared to comfort. 21 would also have possibly little higher resale value.

It does rain list most places, so wonder about safety of summer performance in rain. NH roads are good, but when driving to Boston often, lots of pot holes.

All the above considered what should I do? No matter what, will get factory 20in wheels with blizzack for winter (assuming can't/shouldnt? get 19 for a prestige?). But for non-winter, should I keep the 21s, or go through hassle of selling them and get 20in for half the year?
Old 03-20-2019, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisCraft
Current Volvo XC90 (no suspension) 19in run flat driver but planning on purchasing a fully loaded 2017 Prestige Q7 with air suspension and 21 in summer sport rims with new tires (Pirelli) in the USA.

I imagine most would be thrilled with those tires, but I'm much more focused on the smoothest ride quality. The answer then presumably would be 20in would be better, but here is my scenario.

Firstly, they come with 21, so would need to sell these (along with the new tires), and then buy 20in oem rims and new tires, which is a bit involved.

Second the 20 would be run flats presumably (which for me is a positive since I'd rather know I can keep driving to safety), but downside being run flats are louder/less smooth than non run flats like the 21. I assume in that scenario 20 is still overall smoother/quiter?

I live in New Hampshire. Hot summers, cold snowy winters. I absolutely will get snow tires and wheels for winter. Assume I'd have to get 20 since 19 wouldn't be oem for prestige and assume wouldn't look well on prestige?

21 will lose tread faster and new tires will cost more in the negative side.

21 look more stylish, which is nice plus, but less concerning compared to comfort. 21 would also have possibly little higher resale value.

It does rain list most places, so wonder about safety of summer performance in rain. NH roads are good, but when driving to Boston often, lots of pot holes.

All the above considered what should I do? No matter what, will get factory 20in wheels with blizzack for winter (assuming can't/shouldnt? get 19 for a prestige?). But for non-winter, should I keep the 21s, or go through hassle of selling them and get 20in for half the year?
I would keep the 21s. Wear out the summers and get a good allseason Yes get 20s or 19s for snow tires Look at Hartmann wheels They are similar to OEM and are strong
Old 03-22-2019, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks so much Reggie. I'm leaning towards keeping the 21s as well. My spouse agrees. I normally and much more function over form, but with air suspension I'm thinking it may not make a big difference ride wise, and will just have to be careful not to hit pot holes during the spring/summer/early fall.

For winter, would 19in look funny on this car? I want blizzack and think they only come in the 19 not 20in for this car. I saw a photo and seemed fine, unless people highly recommend against 19in on a prestige?

Hadn't heard of Hartmann, those look great and seeing a lot of good reviews here so definetly will consider those when getting winter wheels next season. Thanks again.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Another vote for Hartmann wheels. I have been using them as my winter wheels for 15 years. Take a look at achtuning.com
Old 03-24-2019, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisCraft
Thanks so much Reggie. I'm leaning towards keeping the 21s as well. My spouse agrees. I normally and much more function over form, but with air suspension I'm thinking it may not make a big difference ride wise, and will just have to be careful not to hit pot holes during the spring/summer/early fall.

For winter, would 19in look funny on this car? I want blizzack and think they only come in the 19 not 20in for this car. I saw a photo and seemed fine, unless people highly recommend against 19in on a prestige?

Hadn't heard of Hartmann, those look great and seeing a lot of good reviews here so definetly will consider those when getting winter wheels next season. Thanks again.
I have 19s Hartmann for my SQ5 .The narrow tires do better in snow and black ice. I put Michelin X-Ice on for the first time last year and I have been so impressed with the traction they provided. This winter we had a lot of ice on our roads which was not typical here in the front range. I only was aware of it because of how slow everyone else was driving (usually its the other way around ). These tires never slid at all
Old 03-25-2019, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks Reggie and Kevin. Yes, Hartmann definetly seem like the way to go unless I find a good deal of OEM on Ebay.

Have looked at the Michelin X-ice too. From my research the Blizzack's seem to still be the best when going through the occasional nor-easter, but for most all other occasions that are pretty much the same and X-Ice I think is just slightly better in a cople metrics, so will have to make a decision next winter on which make the most sense. Thanks again guys.