Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

2015 Q3 v. 2015 GLA

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 10:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Q3 v. 2015 GLA

Just did a comparison of both with the same options.

I paid $37,725 for my Q3, while the GLA comes out to $43,000 before talking.

IMO price alone will dictate which way buyers are going to be heading.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I ended up buying a q5 TDI since we have a Subaru crosstrek already and wanted a slightly larger vehicle. I had rented a GLA in Switzerland this past year and it was nice!

The Q3 looks like a great car (from photos) and may even get my wife one when / if I could convince her to trade in her Subaru crosstrek. We are big Subaru fans (traded in my 2006 Subaru outback xt) for the Q5 TDI! She believes that we will always have at least a Subaru in the family.

Although I liked the GLA a lot I would lean toward the Q3. The only things I heard might be disappointing is that the interior is the same from the original Q3 and not revised for the release in the US. I noticed volvo did this with the v60 as it has been in Europe for three or four years and when recently released in the US it was the same as the three or four year old European version.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I haven't seen the new GLA in person, so it's tough to evaluate. One big difference is in the drivetrain. The GLA is a dual-clutch DSG/DCT setup where the Q3 is a traditional automatic. If either of them came in manual, a true three-pedal manual, that would clinch the deal for me. But on balance, I'd take the DCT over an automatic any day. The DSG in the A3/TT/GTI is much more engaging if you can't get a true manual. An automatic is definitely my last choice...

-James
Seattle, WA
2006 BMW X3 3.0i manual, M-sport, loaded.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by iamthewalrus
I haven't seen the new GLA in person, so it's tough to evaluate. One big difference is in the drivetrain. The GLA is a dual-clutch DSG/DCT setup where the Q3 is a traditional automatic. If either of them came in manual, a true three-pedal manual, that would clinch the deal for me. But on balance, I'd take the DCT over an automatic any day. The DSG in the A3/TT/GTI is much more engaging if you can't get a true manual. An automatic is definitely my last choice...

-James
Seattle, WA
2006 BMW X3 3.0i manual, M-sport, loaded.
The Q3 is for my wife. Therefore, no clutch for her.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:21 PM
SCJ
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MPBQ3
Just did a comparison of both with the same options.

I paid $37,725 for my Q3, while the GLA comes out to $43,000 before talking.

IMO price alone will dictate which way buyers are going to be heading.
I have now driven both cars:

1) The equipment level on the current Q3 is not comparable to the GLA.
2) The GLA engine, with HP, torque, and cylinder deactivation, and the transmission, with dual-clutch, is a lot better than the current Q3.
3) The economy of the GLA is better.
3) The Q3 & GLA have a lot in common - the worst being the lack of 2nd row room & room in the back.

I was waiting for a good Q3 for almost 2 years. Audi again disappoints!

So I have decided to go with the BMW X1, which actually has a back seat and about the same amount of room in the back as my Avant.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SCJ
I have now driven both cars:

1) The equipment level on the current Q3 is not comparable to the GLA.
2) The GLA engine, with HP, torque, and cylinder deactivation, and the transmission, with dual-clutch, is a lot better than the current Q3.
3) The economy of the GLA is better.
3) The Q3 & GLA have a lot in common - the worst being the lack of 2nd row room & room in the back.

So I have decided to go with the BMW X1, which actually has a back seat and about the same amount of room in the back as my Avant.
Some items that you mentioned aren't important to some people. (ie: HP, torque). The Q3 is no vette, but it sure isn't a turtle.

Price wise the GLA will be alot more options v. options
Old 11-03-2014, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPBQ3
Some items that you mentioned aren't important to some people. (ie: HP, torque). The Q3 is no vette, but it sure isn't a turtle.

Price wise the GLA will be alot more options v. options
Yes, but he mention what is important for him.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SCJ

The Q3 and GLA have one more thing in common: no manual transmission option.
Agreed, Audi USA disappoints.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by iamthewalrus
The Q3 and GLA have one more thing in common: no manual transmission option.
Agreed, Audi USA disappoints.
You are in for a lifetime of disappointment, from most any marque.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by stever996
You are in for a lifetime of disappointment, from most any marque.
Agree - stick shifts will be gone very soon, worldwide. I used to always drive stick shifts and made sure back in the 80's that both my daughters learned (I taught) stick, so they would never have to rely on a guy if they were traveling in the Sudan or some place and only stick shifts were available.
What started turning me off on stick shift cars was when I bought a few used ones and had to replace the clutch almost immediately from prior/original owner abuse. One had some gearbox damage as well. If you are buying a used car, there is so much less an idiot prior/first owner can do to an automatic - slush box would be my choice over DSG for similar reasons. I do agree, however, that driving a stick shift in the lovely New England countryside near where I live is a joy, but I fear those days will be over soon. I am pretty happy these days just enjoying the fact that there still are places in the US to get away from urban congestion and drive - even in an automatic.

Quick Reply: 2015 Q3 v. 2015 GLA