Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

Cruise control doesn't work going down hills?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BlackMagicVariant: I have gotten nowhere with Audi customer service. My conclusion is they don't want me to bother them again. Even though every other car I have owned, none of which had adaptive cruise control, maintained set speed, apparently the Q3 does not. I sent them a video my husband took showing my speedometer, with the cc set at 45mph, increasing to over 60mph while going down a hill. I posted the video on the AudiUSA facebook page. They just tell me they are "saddened" to hear I am not happy with the cruise control!
Old 03-20-2017, 11:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I know your last post left little hope, but did you ever get any resolution? I'm having the same issue on my wife's A3.

Last edited by Scorpion_1011; 03-20-2017 at 11:43 AM. Reason: words
Old 03-20-2017, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well, yes and no. I never got any resolution as far as my 2015 is concerned. The dealer and Audi customer service just kept treating me as if I was expecting something that I shouldn't be. My husband was sure they were calling me the "crazy cruise control" woman. However I really liked the Q3 and I was able to trade for a 2016 Q3 and guess what?! the cruise works just fine!
Old 03-25-2017, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Does your new Q3 have adaptive cruise?

I find this thread strange because my old Audi A4s never braked due to cruise control and neither does my 2017 Q3 with standard cruise. I think I'd be aggravated if it did activate the brakes!

If I put the old manual A4s in an appropriate gear, the cruise control would work going downhill in the sense that it closed the throttle and engine braking took over. You could feel the little shift in forces when the speed dropped a smidgen and the cruise control started opening the throttle again. Since it was a manual, you'd have to downshift and then reenable the cruise control since any clutch activity interrupted it.

In the new Q3, it behaves similarly but I have to switch the automatic into tiptronic mode and downshift to get enough engine braking. It definitely would coast 5 or 10 MPH higher than the set speed if I left it in "D" drive mode and it went into a high gear. Since there's no clutch involved, I can do this shifting while the cruise control remains engaged. I think it might also be enough to put it in "S" mode where it will keep a slightly lower gear on its own, but I didn't think of that when I was last driving out of mountains...
Old 08-19-2021, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default CRUISE UNCONTROLLED

Originally Posted by shrly
My 2015 Q3 with standard cruise control doesn't maintain set speed going down hills--any kind of hill! Dealer and Audi customer service can't tell me why. If you have to reset it constantly, what is the use of having it! Anyone else experiencing this problem?
FLABBERGASTED THAT MY NEW 2021 CRV DOESNT HOLD THE SPEED DOWNHILL.... SPOILED BY 2018 SUBARU WHICH NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH THAT....THANKS FOR LETTING ME KNOW I AM FIGHTING A PROVERBIAL UPHILL BATTLE WITH THE DEALER... HOPE THEY WORK ON THAT BEFORE MY NEXT CAR.....PROBABLY A SUBARU AGAIN
Old 08-23-2021, 02:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Adaptive cruise control in winter

Hi,

do you have troubles with adaptive cruise control in winter because of ice gathering on a radar sensor?
Old 08-23-2021, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by carkarl
Does your new Q3 have adaptive cruise?

I find this thread strange because my old Audi A4s never braked due to cruise control and neither does my 2017 Q3 with standard cruise. I think I'd be aggravated if it did activate the brakes!

If I put the old manual A4s in an appropriate gear, the cruise control would work going downhill in the sense that it closed the throttle and engine braking took over. You could feel the little shift in forces when the speed dropped a smidgen and the cruise control started opening the throttle again. Since it was a manual, you'd have to downshift and then reenable the cruise control since any clutch activity interrupted it.

In the new Q3, it behaves similarly but I have to switch the automatic into tiptronic mode and downshift to get enough engine braking. It definitely would coast 5 or 10 MPH higher than the set speed if I left it in "D" drive mode and it went into a high gear. Since there's no clutch involved, I can do this shifting while the cruise control remains engaged. I think it might also be enough to put it in "S" mode where it will keep a slightly lower gear on its own, but I didn't think of that when I was last driving out of mountains...
2019 Q3 with adaptive cruise control maintains set speed
whether going up hill or down hill. It will brake to maintain set speed.
Old 08-23-2021, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It makes sense to me for Adaptive CC to apply brakes when needed to slow down i.e. in traffic, but it does not make sense and is not necessary for vehicles with Non-Adaptive CC, especially on a car with manual transmission, to apply brakes going down moderate hills or after passing another vehicle. As a minimum there should be a defeat option. What do you all think?
Old 08-23-2021, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackMagicVariant
It makes sense to me for Adaptive CC to apply brakes when needed to slow down i.e. in traffic, but it does not make sense and is not necessary for vehicles with Non-Adaptive CC, especially on a car with manual transmission, to apply brakes going down moderate hills or after passing another vehicle. As a minimum there should be a defeat option. What do you all think?
My last 5 vehicles, 2 of which were manual transmissions with Non-Adaptive CC did not brake under Any circumstance. Subaru Outback X 2, VW Tiguan X 2, Audi A4 or a rental Jeep Compass.
Old 08-23-2021, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I no longer have this Audi and was quite surprised to see an email come up with some discussion. I have since had a Volvo XC40 (very safe but boring) and currently have a BMW X2 (love it!), neither of which had or have adaptive cruise control, just good old fashioned cc. Both vehicles maintained speed on highways with inclines, declines, hills, whatever. I do not do a lot of highway driving but when I do, I want the cruise control to work! I do have a bit of experience with vehicles: I have driven everything from BMWs, Audis, MBs, GMCs, Porsches, coupes, SUVs, a motorcycle, and trucks. I am sure I have forgotten a few!

By the way, I really loved the look and feel of my Audi. Beautiful, white with a mocha leather interior, but with this issue and the dealer's response, it turned me off.

Quick Reply: Cruise control doesn't work going down hills?