Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

Limp mode (seemingly, when going into low gear)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limp mode (seemingly, when going into low gear)

Would be interesting to know if anyone had a similar problem to mine.

My 2015 Q3 had developed a problem - it intermittently goes into limp mode, seemingly after engine braking was used where RPM goes slightly above 3k in a more abrupt manner than a gentle gear shift with the clutch. Happened 3 times now - with about 1000 miles / 2 weeks inbetween occurrences.

First time it happened, the computer was scanned immediately by my neighbour, showing codes P008700 (Fuel Rail / System Pressure - Too Low) and P034100 (Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range / Performance). The error was cleared, and fuel filter change (as a cheap first fix) was advised. The car restarted just fine, with limp mode gone.

Second time it happened after two weeks. I've then booked the car with a garage, two days in advance. When I came to the garage, there were no errors on the computer, and they couldn't find anything wrong with the car - but I changed the fuel filter as advised by the mechanic when the issue happened first time. The old filter was fine though.

Third time it happened after another two weeks. I brought the car to the garage again next morning to check it, and computer was showing fault 5580 (Oil Pressure Switch Malfunction - P164B00 [096] Intermittent - Not Confirmed).

Every time the car is restarted after limp mode occurred, it drives just fine - until at some point it happens again.

Would appreciate any advice from experts.

Just to add, having the car from brand new, it was nothing but a pain throughout. I am definitely NOT going to consider buying anything Audi or affiliated in the future.

Kind regards,

Denis Savostiyanov
Old 04-06-2019, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

When you low on fuel, when the fuel light goes on, there is more chance of this happening.
Other limp mode reasons are things like low oil level or pressure, a high temperature, low coolant level, brake system faults or any critical engine/safety system error.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, yes, the problem seemed to occur (on all 3 occasions) when fuel level was below half, though it was always above a quarter, and might be a coincidence. The car was now driven for about 1000 miles/3 weeks with no issues, but so might be due for the problem to happen again, as when it happened before, there were long periods of normal operation inbetween. I've decided to leave it for now until the problem becomes persistent, since the car works normally after restart, so I can just pull over, restart the engine, and then continue. Otherwise, I can be at risk of throwing good money after bad...