Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

Q3 has death pause-scarry

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Q3 has death pause-scarry

My 2017 Q3 Prestige has lost acceleration for 1-2 seconds severa.l times over the few months. Usually when going under 40 mph & coasting.
Today in slow traffic I started to change lanes & as I started into the next lane I lost all power. My foot was all the way down on the gas -but nothing for a couple of seconds. Then power returned to normal. This was the worst experience out of several incidents.
People get killed this way.
Went immediately to my dealer who had no explanation.
Logic tells me this is more than turbo failure, Car starts off from a dead stop w/o the turbo ok-but had zero power when I really needed it.
REALLY NEED ANY INPUT YOU HAVE. ANYBODY HAVE A SIMILAR
PROBLEM? HELP.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default A Fix---Maybe

Back to the dealer yesterday. Checked for codes. Nothing showed up re tranny. After more discussion I requested that dealer do a complete tranny reset. Service Mgr agreed & a tech was on it in 5 min. In addition to the reset tech did some kind of reset to the accelerator pedal.
Took a good test ride in large mostly empty Industrial Park where I could try every type of traffic situation in safety. No problems showed up. Have a long trip coming up next week,so will see if we have a cure.

Appreciate dealer efforts,but question why they didn't recommend the tranny reset. For anyone who isn't familiar w/tranny reset-- Adaptive Tranny can be reset to back to effectively original startup & start over. We'll see & post results.

Forgot to mention. My Presets for my Radio in the MMI crashed & either deleted or scrambled my presets. Dealer could not correct without another appointment. This is the 2nd time this has happened within 6 months.

Last edited by greasykid; 08-19-2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greasykid
My 2017 Q3 Prestige has lost acceleration for 1-2 seconds severa.l times over the few months. Usually when going under 40 mph & coasting.
Today in slow traffic I started to change lanes & as I started into the next lane I lost all power. My foot was all the way down on the gas -but nothing for a couple of seconds. Then power returned to normal. This was the worst experience out of several incidents.
Logic tells me this is more than turbo failure, Car starts off from a dead stop w/o the turbo ok-but had zero power when I really needed it.
PROBLEM? HELP.
Never had anything as bad as what you describe, but I do have 'pull-off' anxiety when the selector is in D. Have started driving in S mode and it feels much better.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by greasykid
PROBLEM? HELP.
I had this exact same thing happen to me twice this week in my new 2017 A4. Was searching the web for other reports of this and came across your thread.

Scared the crap out of me both times. Had to shut the engine off and restart the car in mid-traffic with cars behind me wondering why I stopped moving. Luckily I was in low speed city driving. Taking it into the dealership tomorrow...
Old 09-24-2017, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Pls post what your dealer says & any fix?