Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

$495 fee to transfer Audi Care to new owner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $495 fee to transfer Audi Care to new owner?

Buying a CPO 2016 SQ5 with less than 10K miles, dealer tells me previous owner paid for Audi Care and "it's only $495" to transfer to a new owner. That's a good deal compared to the list Audi Care price, but I can't help wonder whether I'm getting the straight scoop.

Has any one heard of the transfer fee, supposedly from Audi USA itself? Thanks...

John
Old 08-21-2018, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

That's BS as far as I know. Never heard of a transfer fee. Audi Care/Select stays with the vehicle not the owner. It's basically an option on the car that will show up in the dealers system regardless of who brings in the car for service. It can't be transferred to another vehicle.

Details from Audi website. Notice the last bulletpoint.

Audi Care/Audi Care Select details
• Scheduled maintenance covered by Audi Care/Audi Care Select must be completed by an authorized U.S. Audi dealer.

• Audi Care/Audi Care Select are only valid for vehicles sold or leased in the U.S.

• Audi Care/Audi Care Select may not be canceled and are non-refundable.[6] No refunds will be given if your lease is terminated early, or if your lease term is less than the coverage period.

• Audi Care/Audi Care Select may not be transferred to another vehicle. Coverage stays with the vehicle for the life of the plan.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

+1. As far as I know, the Audi Care contract follows the car not the owner. And, as per SuperSwiss' post above, the contract is not transferable and stays with the vehicle. Here is the link to Audi US's Audi Care brochure with specific description about its nature that Superswiss posted in his response: https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...e-combined.pdf

You can download it and show it to the sales person that's trying to charge you extra for it.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. This wasn't the salesman, this happened during a follow-up call by the dealership's finance department. I eventually got her to admit the fee was charged by the dealer, not Audi. When I explained to her I'd previously purchased a CPO A8 from the dealership under the same circumstances and with usable Audi Care already on the vehicle, she said the $495 fee must have already been included in the price.

Don't know why dealers play these games, it only encourages an adversarial relationship ...

John
Old 08-22-2018, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Dealer is ripping you off. I bought an sq5 with a rebuilt title. The original owner bought Audi care. Someone bought the car fixed it, then sold to me and I've had to pay nothing. The car and audi care changed hands twice without any extra fees or anything. A finance department CANNOT be trusted. They will lie to you any way they can to make an extra buck. I would NOT buy a car from that dealer and complain to the head honcho about their shady practices. What a bunch of bs.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can also confirm that there's no transfer fee. I purchased a CPO Q5. The prior owner had purchased Audi Care and the remaining value of the benefit transferred to me at no cost. You can call Audi with the VIN and they'll confirm that the car has coverage, too.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I, too, can confirm there is no transfer fee.

I bought a '14 SQ5 CPO from Jack Daniel's in NJ...they didn't charge me a transfer fee.

Actually, when we were going through the final inspection, they saw a chip in the windshield and ordered me a new one!

Great guys over there,

Jason
New York
Old 08-24-2018, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1
my 2015 CPO came with the remainder Audi Care servicing so I don’t pay for the 55000 and 70000km maintenance.
those packages follow the vin# 100%
Old 08-24-2018, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"the dealership's finance department." These days, that's not a finance department that's what's called "Aftersales" and it means "Barbershop", you're going to get a haircut from an expert. The aftersales on many cars generates a higher profit than the actual car sale, which is why they're so anxious to speak to you.

If they want to charge you for what Audi is passing on for free? That's theft in my book. I'd let Audi of America know about that.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think there may be a different way to describe Audi Care coverage for cars that change hands. It's not that there's a transfer that occurs when you buy a car with remaining value on the Audi Care contract. I don't think there's an actual transfer of any kind. Audi Care is attached to the VIN, not the customer. I think that's accurate.

Quick Reply: $495 fee to transfer Audi Care to new owner?