Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 09:02 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

$700 for Q5 brake service @ 25K!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
Is everyone who's saying $700 for brake pads cheap smoking crack on this forum!! What the hell?!! I have a 2012 on order and if that's the kind of service prices I can expect from Audi I may rethink my order.

I just did all four brakes on my 2008 Nissan Rogue for just under $200 at Midas, no warranty issue either. I mean, from what I hear on the forum the stock pads are soft, so third party pads are probably better anyway.

Bring it to Midas or Meineke or wherever else, get third party (better) pads and save your self $500 bucks, it's brake pad replacement for crying out loud, not a valve job!

Those who said $700 is cheap might want to stop "drinking the Kool Aid". Sheesh!
^^Totally agree,when the time comes I will be doing it myself with top shelf replacement pads for under $150. what a crock.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Still waiting??? Drop that bomb on audi or the service mgr at your dealer.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by flybooey
What does AC cover then? Just the oil/air filter and oil filter ???
Doesn't bmw even cover brake jobs ?
Wow I thought Audi covered this. My X3 just got all new brakes at 37k miles at no charge.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Evlengr
Wow I thought Audi covered this. My X3 just got all new brakes at 37k miles at no charge.
There's no such thing as no charge. You just already paid for it with it built into the price of the car. Early on, some sales folks gave bogus info and told people that audi care covered brakes.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does AC cover then? Just the oil/air filter and oil filter ???
Doesn't bmw even cover brake jobs ?
Yes, it does. Get my break change under warranty. Don't remember cost, but my mechanic send me e-mail with his price for rear breaks -
total $140 - brake pads $80 labor $ 40 and $20 brake pads sensor.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Still waiting??? Drop that bomb on audi or the service mgr at your dealer.
Bomb's been dropped. Spoke with Costco car rep, we agreed salesman will be dealt with AFTER flawless pickup and transaction of vehicle. I did''t want to lose my "place in line" by canceling my order and starting over elsewhere. Plus, still the best price I could get locally was through Costco.

I gotta tell ya though, stories of $700 brake jobs, squeaky rear seats, bad water pumps, whining transmissions, cranky MMI, condescending sales and service reps, etc., etc., etc., is really starting to concern me, especially on an almost $50k vehicle as I have mine configured. What's even more concerning is how many owners and forum members almost act like it's a "privilege" to pay such fees and to put up with such shortcomings just because it's an Audi and a Q5.

As I said earlier, too much collective brainwashing IMHO.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts
Default VCDS tool needed for rear pad replacement

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
Is everyone who's saying $700 for brake pads cheap smoking crack on this forum!! What the hell?!! I have a 2012 on order and if that's the kind of service prices I can expect from Audi I may rethink my order.

I just did all four brakes on my 2008 Nissan Rogue for just under $200 at Midas, no warranty issue either. I mean, from what I hear on the forum the stock pads are soft, so third party pads are probably better anyway.

Bring it to Midas or Meineke or wherever else, get third party (better) pads and save your self $500 bucks, it's brake pad replacement for crying out loud, not a valve job!

Those who said $700 is cheap might want to stop "drinking the Kool Aid". Sheesh!
One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is the VCDS tool or equivalent is required to change the rear pads correctly on our cars.
Electric parking brakes could be damaged without it. I would ask any third party repair place if they are familiar with that. If the answer is not confidence inspiring run.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Some can't comprehend that there are people on this forum that don't have the time, temperament or training to do brake work, or perhaps any work on their car apart from fueling it. Most folks in America that drive premium cars do defer to the dealership for all maintenance. Nothing unusual about that. Ohh, they don't have a VCDS cable, either

Old saying: You've either got more money than time or more time than money.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:28 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

FYI mine still has the original pads and rotors at 110,000km (69,000mi)
Old 06-15-2011, 05:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Some can't comprehend that there are people on this forum that don't have the time, temperament or training to do brake work, or perhaps any work on their car apart from fueling it. Most folks in America that drive premium cars do defer to the dealership for all maintenance. Nothing unusual about that. Ohh, they don't have a VCDS cable, either
The three Ts...so true.

Quick Reply: $700 for Q5 brake service @ 25K!?!?