Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

18 inch winter wheels for SQ5?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts
Default 18 inch winter wheels for SQ5?

I just traded in my 2013 Evoque Dynamic for a drop-dead gorgeous 2015 SQ5 with the 21 in summer tires.

So, first order of business (living in Colorado Springs) is to buy a set of winter wheels/tires for the SQ5.

The Tire Rack configurator for the SQ5 shows that 18 inch wheels with 255/55s are a good fit...

Anybody out there have 18 inch wheels? My main concern is to whether those will fit over the front discs.

Thanks
Dave
Old 08-02-2015, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If TireRack says they'll fit, then it means they actually test fitted it. Trust me, they don't want to sell you rims and then have to pay for return shipping if they don't fit.

Here is one example of 18s on an SQ5:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-.../#post24618895

The only problem is that small rocks can get stuck between calipers and the rim, and possibly damage the rims over time, just because there is so little clearance. I had that problem on my 530i where the 16" rims fit, but just barely.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
If TireRack says they'll fit, then it means they actually test fitted it. Trust me, they don't want to sell you rims and then have to pay for return shipping if they don't fit.

Here is one example of 18s on an SQ5:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-.../#post24618895

The only problem is that small rocks can get stuck between calipers and the rim, and possibly damage the rims over time, just because there is so little clearance. I had that problem on my 530i where the 16" rims fit, but just barely.
Thanks Pete!

I appreciate the quick reply and the link to past posting. I hadn't thought about rocks getting caught up being an issue.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey I am in Colorado Springs as well. The pot holes are terrible here. I run 20 inch winters with no problem!! What color is your SQ? Mine is red. Hope to see you around.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
Hey I am in Colorado Springs as well. The pot holes are terrible here. I run 20 inch winters with no problem!! What color is your SQ? Mine is red. Hope to see you around.
Mine is Lava Gray with black trim. Will definitely be on the lookout for you.

I was looking to go from 2 cars to one (a 2007 BMW 530i sport which was getting way too expensive to maintain and a 2013 Evoque Dynamic with Black Pack) and couldn't see keeping the Evoque long term.

Had tried a Range Rover Sport and then across the street to Phil Long for an AllRoad test drive. Didn't like the AllRoad, was getting ready to leave, and the sales rep asked if I would try the SQ5.

After the test drive, WE WERE HOOKED. Unbelievable that the MSRP for my Evoque and this SQ5 were the same -- SQ5 is a way better automobile all the way around.

Anyway, after 3 bimmers and a Rover in last twenty years, we appear to be converted to Audi.

2 funny things my wife has said: after getting the SQ5 home, she said it was good to have an adult car (compared to the Evoque). And after I had made a moderate accelaration run after a stop light, she asked (the car), "where have you been all our lives?"
Old 08-02-2015, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Go see RM window tint at the top of motor city by that old car wash. You need some clear bra bob and his crew are awesome. Tell him Jerry sent you by. Here is a pic of my SQ so you know it's me. I run Texas tags because I own a ranch north or Dallas. Spend a couple months there.
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2015, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

and here is a pic of mine. hope to see you around town!
Old 08-03-2015, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Look into some Hartmann replica wheels. Wheels for Audi, Mercedes Benz, Porsche, and VW Wheel - Hartmann Wheels
Old 08-04-2015, 08:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
Go see RM window tint at the top of motor city by that old car wash. You need some clear bra bob and his crew are awesome. Tell him Jerry sent you by. Here is a pic of my SQ so you know it's me. I run Texas tags because I own a ranch north or Dallas. Spend a couple months there.
What red is that? Audi Exclusive? Doesn't look like the Volcano Red that was offered on the '15. I'm still bummed about missing out on that one by two weeks.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GiddyHitch
What red is that? Audi Exclusive? Doesn't look like the Volcano Red that was offered on the '15. I'm still bummed about missing out on that one by two weeks.
I'm pretty sure JBDs is an Audi Exclusive in Misano Red. I think I remember him posting about it in the past on here.

Quick Reply: 18 inch winter wheels for SQ5?