Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 08:47 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Specifications & General Maintenance

--

See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

2.0 Premium vs Premium plus which one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by sid369
One thing that i wanted to ask is when we test drove the premium plus yesterday I asked if I can change the driving modes. It was easy to change modes from D to S (sports) however, I did not feel the steering becoming tight (like in the X3) . Does it really change the driving dynamics on Sports mode? It was a short distance that I test drove so maybe thats why i could not feel the difference.
The gear lever D and S only change the throttle and transmission gear software maps, not the steering. As equipped, the ADS settings in the MMI provide for adjusting the steering effort.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The gear lever D and S only change the throttle and transmission gear software maps, not the steering. As equipped, the ADS settings in the MMI provide for adjusting the steering effort.
I thought you had to order the S-line pig to get Audi Drive Select (as well as adaptive damping suspension)?
Old 02-23-2014, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rudymon
I thought you had to order the S-line pig to get Audi Drive Select (as well as adaptive damping suspension)?
That's why I wrote "as equipped".
Old 02-23-2014, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've been meaning to experiment with the ADS steering control, although I'd have to enable it first in my 2.0T. I like the lightness at parking speed; combined with the tight turning radius it makes the car a pleasure to handle in tight spaces and parallel park. With a wider radius I couldn't have bought it since I'd never get it in and out of my garage spot. (The rear camera is also useful, but the beepers light up continuously as there's never more than 5-6" of free space in any direction.) My main beef with the steering isn't the stiffness or lack thereof at freeway speed, it's the particulars of the resistance. Around center it's almost moving freely, within 1 degree or so. This makes harder than it should be to drive in a perfectly straight line. Beyond this it stiffens, but it's not just a resistance to movement, but rather feels springy. And there's a threshold ("knee") that needs to be overcome before anything happens at all. This knee combined with the free movement around center, combined with the springiness makes it a little peculiar feeling. Instead, I'd rather see resistance go up with turn RATE, plus a light recentering force (so if you let go the car straightens out). Currently there's a firm recentering force, but it's more a spring feel than a dampening feel. So I've been meaning to experiment with the ADS settings to see if this can be improved on...

Last edited by Xenonista; 02-23-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

So you need to order the S-line to get the ADS, nevermind then.

What do you guys think of the Side assist? Do you guys think its useful? The car I am looking at has MMI but no side assist. That should not be a deal breaker should it?

Also, in the premium plus, does the passenger side have lumbar support?
Old 02-24-2014, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xenonista
I've been meaning to experiment with the ADS steering control, although I'd have to enable it first in my 2.0T. I like the lightness at parking speed; combined with the tight turning radius it makes the car a pleasure to handle in tight spaces and parallel park. With a wider radius I couldn't have bought it since I'd never get it in and out of my garage spot. (The rear camera is also useful, but the beepers light up continuously as there's never more than 5-6" of free space in any direction.) My main beef with the steering isn't the stiffness or lack thereof at freeway speed, it's the particulars of the resistance. Around center it's almost moving freely, within 1 degree or so. This makes harder than it should be to drive in a perfectly straight line. Beyond this it stiffens, but it's not just a resistance to movement, but rather feels springy. And there's a threshold ("knee") that needs to be overcome before anything happens at all. This knee combined with the free movement around center, combined with the springiness makes it a little peculiar feeling. Instead, I'd rather see resistance go up with turn RATE, plus a light recentering force (so if you let go the car straightens out). Currently there's a firm recentering force, but it's more a spring feel than a dampening feel. So I've been meaning to experiment with the ADS settings to see if this can be improved on...

What you have described is a "feature" of the electrical assisted steering. In some cars (my BMW 328 for example) where it is much worse and sometimes downright scary.

What happens is that the electrical motor turns off if you do not turn the steering for "x" period of time. The moment you steer again the motor starts up to assist you. Not like hydraulic assisted steering that is always on.

What you refer to as "knee", I refer to stiction where you need to overcome static friction to make the steering work.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

I test drove one this weekend, a premium plus with nav and mmi, The interior color is not what we want, but the dealer looked motivated to give us a discount. I don't remember but I think the car had like 200 miles on it, do you think its a dealer demo and that's why he wants to discount, he said he can go lower than invoice.

Should I even consider it if its a demo with 200 miles?
Old 02-24-2014, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove one this weekend, a premium plus with nav and mmi, The interior color is not what we want, but the dealer looked motivated to give us a discount. I don't remember but I think the car had like 200 miles on it, do you think its a dealer demo and that's why he wants to discount, he said he can go lower than invoice.

Should I even consider it if its a demo with 200 miles?
Strictly up to you on whether 200 miles is too much. You're the guy who has to live with it. In the big scheme of things 200 miles is nothing if you drive the car 40,000-60,000 miles. If you can get a discount it might be worth it - You'd have to decide.

My last car was a 2010 Lexus that I bought with 300 miles and was completely problem free for the 3+ years I owned it. I too got a discount for the miles and no regrets and after the first week never really thought about it. I can also understand if you'd prefer to buy without the miles on the vehicle.

Last edited by Q5 Bob; 02-24-2014 at 06:57 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Bob, I think 200 miles is not much at all and I can live with it. However, the biggest piece of information I just stumbled upon is that the Redesigned 2015 Q5 is going to come out soon (summer I guess) does anyone know the exact time frame. I am sure I will be disappointed if a new redesigned Q5 comes out months after I get it.

I don't want to wait 1 year, but if its a matter of 3-4 months, could anyone confirm the exact dates?
Old 02-24-2014, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Thanks Bob, I think 200 miles is not much at all and I can live with it. However, the biggest piece of information I just stumbled upon is that the Redesigned 2015 Q5 is going to come out soon (summer I guess) does anyone know the exact time frame. I am sure I will be disappointed if a new redesigned Q5 comes out months after I get it.

I don't want to wait 1 year, but if its a matter of 3-4 months, could anyone confirm the exact dates?
Does not exist redesign for MY2015
This is the same model as MY2013/2014/2015
Totally new Q5 coming in 2016

Quick Reply: 2.0 Premium vs Premium plus which one?