Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2.0T Exhaust Upgrade Options

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 07:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.0T Exhaust Upgrade Options

After searching around, it looks like there are only a couple options out there for exhaust upgrades for the 2.0T

Stassis - $1495
AWE Tuning - $1399 (optional resonated downpipe for $399)

Are there any other options out there that I'm missing?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Remus is another...

Or you can always go to an exhaust shop and have them fabricate a system with a muffler of choice (I have seen some run Magnaflows) with tips of your choice...

I have heard that exhausts for the B8 A4 2.0T may fit, but haven't heard any confirmations yet...
Old 05-23-2012, 02:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do you have any sound samples of the Remus?
Old 05-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've been discussing the REMUS option with Duffy Collin @ REMUS. He has been extremely helpful. He gave me a link to an A4 with the REMUS installed posted in another thread and there is a video that you can watch to get an idea of the sound of the REMUS system installed.

It will sound very similar to the Q5 w/REMUS.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...=remus+nickzag

He also had this to say:

"Turbo’s, by the way, benefit greatly from free flow exhaust. More so than do N.A. engines. We have one dyno comparison chart from REMUS Innovation on a VW 2.0L Turbo (essentially the same power-plant) showing an astounding 10% increase in mid range. This was w/ a front Racing Tube as well, but typically RT’s only add maybe 1 or 2 %. So these RS’s (Rear Silencers) should net you somewhere between 5 to 8% in power gains."

I also asked him whether just replacing the secondary silencers was sufficient or if there was some reason to replace the center or primary silencer as well, to which he responded:

"That is one of the advantages of just replacing the RS’s first. When you do this, you have the choice to make it louder by removing a front silencer or two. Many competitor’s have successfully convinced a gullible American automotive public that full ‘cat back’ systems are the only way to go. REMUS builds so many of the O.E.M. systems for numerous top German car companies, so they are keenly aware that the system in front of the RS is generally quite good, with very little efficiency robbing back pressure. The RS’s have the most back pressure, other than the legally required cat’s, so that’s where they concentrate most of their efforts. Besides, removing a FS (Front Silencer) is child’s play at almost any good muffler or performance shop."

Anyway, I've read a number of reviews and the REMUS has a great reputation and it folks are very happy with this upgrade.

The REMUS RS's for the Q5 run $1126 which include US shipping. Of course, the labor costs of having installed would be additional if you don't plan on doing it yourself.

Would love to hear other opinions on this matter with others if anyone has different views.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am running the Remus now and am very happy with it

Personally, I feel that the throttle is more free to rev up... definitely feeling less restriction from the exhaust. Even without removing the front silencers, the sound is noticeable from inside the cabin. When I first did the swap, I was a bit obsessive about the sound being too loud (the stock exhaust is basically silent). But after a couple thousand miles, I have no complaints

You should be able to find a clip of a Q5 with Remus (from Japan) on Youtube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi5xQPRvMuY

Not the best quality video... but gives you an idea of how it looks and sounds after installation...
Old 05-23-2012, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As the Q is my wife's dd and she just wanted a bit more sound rather than the anemic stock exhaust, we opted for replacing the rear silencers with two magnaflows and new tips for under $150 installed iirc...

she likes the sound and that's all that matters to me

interior sound clip is in my signature block below...
Old 05-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

JBT -- Any issues taking it in for service. Does Audi give you a hard time for having an upgraded exhaust system -- or do you swap back to stock before service trips (not something I want to do).
Old 05-24-2012, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only been in once for an oil change under audicare - no issues with the car at all... (other than the maps are still woefully out of date...)

BUT, as with any new car, I did put a bunch of miles on it before doing anything to semi-prove to me that no issues were there before I started...

Wow - that video is MUCH louder than our exhaust...

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 05-24-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
Only been in once for an oil change under audicare - no issues with the car at all... (other than the maps are still woefully out of date...)

BUT, as with any new car, I did put a bunch of miles on it before doing anything to semi-prove to me that no issues were there before I started...

Wow - that video is MUCH louder than our exhaust...
Yea, the Remus does have some growl to it I'll try to take a video soon and aim to have higher quality than that...