Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Reflective film on pano roof?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 06:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reflective film on pano roof?

It's getting to be summer an here in Florida, and I'm realizing that a windscreen shade is not enough to keep the car cool while parked at the office. Cracking the windows is not a option with the unpredictable thunderstorms.

Has anyone put reflective film on their pano roof? If so, what material did you use?
Old 05-27-2014, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had SunTek CXP Carbon Series installed on my pano
Old 05-27-2014, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Yes, 3M Chrystalline.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I used SunTek CXP Carbon Series on ALL GLASS including the front windshield!

I live in Miami and it is very sunny all year round.

I had all but the windshield done. Took a trip to the keys and felt like I was baking through the front windshield. Installed it a week later and no regrets!

I sometimes worry about cops giving me issue's with it, but it is the lightest shade 80% CXP so it is barely noticeable during the day and at night time increases privacy.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Delete the sunroof!
As for the windshield, had mine done too. The Crystaline is nice. The windshield doesn't look tinted at all, but it's harder to see inside...like a haze from the outside.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does anyone know or have measured the factory tin on the front side, back side, rear and sunroof?

SeaBlue and mwaarna, do you know what shade of CXP you used?
Old 05-28-2014, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by amstrad
Does anyone know or have measured the factory tin on the front side, back side, rear and sunroof?

Fronts are "clear glass", which is supposedly ~80% (haven't seen anyone meter ours to be sure, though). The rears on mine metered at 29% when I went in to get tinted. The sunroof would be difficult to measure (can't use the usual meter), but definitely looked darker than the "privacy glass" on the rear windows.

I did a 50% FormulaOne Pinnacle all around (except the windshield since any film not 100% VLT is illegal in TX -- though I see a number of people with purple windshields driving around) for heat rejection. I wasn't concerned with matching the rears (I actually prefer darker rear for some reason), but looking for the biggest heat rejection for the least VLT reduction (so I could see out easily and so other drivers could look through my car to see traffic in front or to the side of me). I was originally thinking about doing the 80%, but the blue tint was noticeable to me and the shade of the Pinnacle went with the brownish (to my eyes) factory dye better.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have F1 Pinnacle all the way around on mine, except windshield. They put something else on the pano that was reflective to prevent the heat absorption that causes it to shatter. Not sure what they used but I love the Pinnacle. I live in Orlando, and I think the car is quite comfortable.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Llumar Blue Air 80.

Blocks a bunch of the heat, equivalent or more than most other films except super high end. I wanted something that would block heat but not make the roof really dark. Since it's essentially clear, it didn't really darken anything but I can feel the difference just in touching the glass.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by amstrad

I used 80% on the windshield, 33% on the factory colored windows including the pano, and 20% on the front doors. All the windows seem to match doing it this way. The 20% isn't all that dark.

Quick Reply: Reflective film on pano roof?