Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2010 Q5 piston replacement

Old 03-25-2019, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Q5 piston replacement

Hello everyone, I need some help/advice on this situation regarding my 2010 Q5 3.2 Premium (This is going to be a long post, TLDR is at the bottom).

I dropped the car off at the dealership for scheduled servicing almost two months ago and it has been there ever since.
The servicing was done in a day, which is great, so I go pick up the car the next day. This is when the car takes a dump - or tries to, lol - the engine shook really badly on first startup and shut off. I immediately went to get a service advisor to take a look at it. The car shook violently when they tried to start it up as well, so they suggest I leave it there to have them check it out.

After a few days I get a call saying that piston and rings needs to be replaced (quoted at $13k) with possibilities of other issues "along the way" that can only be seen as they take the engine apart, which will cost $20k+ to do. Those numbers hurt...

Before agreeing to any of that, we talked some more and they offered to test the (base?) timing to see if that was the cause. Supposedly, if that was the cause, replacing the timing chain and tensioner would have fixed the car. Sadly test results show that the timing was not the problem.The service advisor mentioned a few times that the car is old and that he does not think repairs are worth it, but was not forceful about it and gave us time to think. We had no plans of getting a new car at this time so we decided to contact Audi of Canada (AoC) in hopes that they can help with the repairs. A case was opened and AoC instructed the dealership to do more tests on the car.

After a few weeks the dealership says that they have taken apart the engine, confirmed that piston and rings do indeed have to be replaced and that Audi Canada will not be helping out - stating that the car is too old/out of warranty. The dealership offered to cover the labour costs but we have to pay for the parts (~$3500).

I called AoC again hoping to change their mind but they said that the decision was final, and this is where we currently stand. The $3500 bill is a lot more easier to swallow but I am still pissed that we have to pay for some engine (internal) defect that killed our car without warning.

TLDR:
- 2010 Q5 3.2 Premium with ~115k km mileage, always dealership serviced, bought new/one owner, located in Ontario, Canada
- car suddenly dies after regular servicing at dealership
- piston and rings need replacement, with initial quotes of $13k to $20k+ repair bills
- contacted Audi of Canada (AoC) to start a case, their final decision is to not help because car is too old
- dealership offered to cover labour costs, while we pay for parts at ~$3500

Obviously I would like for AoC to pay this bill, but I don't know how to get them to change their "final decision". So I am turning to everyone here in hopes of learning new information that I can use when negotiating with AoC again.So please, any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
BTW: how did I do in handling the situation so far? I have never been a strong negotiator tbh, maybe I should have posted this when the whole thing started, to ask for advice...

Note: I've cross posted this on a few forums that I know of/visit sometimes/lurk on to cover more ground, not sure if I can list them here. I don't know if I chose the best sites for posting, so if anyone has suggestions on where else I should post this, please let me know! Thanks again.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Your Q5 is 9 years old and way out of warranty why should Audi pay for anything?

So let's look at this, you drive into the dealership without any problems for service. Mysterously yor Q5 develops piston/ring issues instantly. The dealer says he will eat the about $10K labor to replace the parts. Now why would he do that labor intensive job for free unless that he feels guilty about something.

Something seems very questionable about what has happened here......…

How did the Q5 perform going up hills, loss of power, etc? Did you consume oil at a high rate, smoke coming out of the tailpipe?

What did the dealer actually perform during the service? Change plugs, etc?

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 03-25-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Very questionable!
Old 03-25-2019, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Pistons, welcome aboard! Certainly a troubling tale of events. I seriously doubt you are going to get any goodwill with those miles.

Assuming the dealership's diagnosis is correct, I would try to decide how much you $$$ want to spend.

The 3.2L is not a problematic engine.

Last edited by uberwgn; 03-25-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:41 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Yep, on the bandwagon with everyone else. Why is the dealer willing to pick up the extremely large labor bill? (Did they move the car around the shop with no oil in it?) If they are indeed picking up the labor bill I'd ask for $10k off a new car instead. Otherwise you are just begging for problems on a 10 year old car even with new pistons and rings.
Also on a side note I would think an entirely brand new long block would only cost $10k (used or refurb $2k-$5k) since the amount of labor involved in removing and reinstalling the engine would be the same then at least everything would be new, not just rings and pistons.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

First time I hear about a well serviced 3.2 NA Audi engine needing a full piston + rings job after only 72K miles, something fishy happened when they took care of your car, I'd dig deeper there.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Bet they want him to sign off on the rings and pistons and THAT would let them off the hook.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies so far!

I will for sure go after the dealer for more info before agreeing to any work. Unfortunately they probably got rid of evidence of any screwups by now since the car was left with them for so long
Maybe I will try to negotiate for a good credit towards a new car as suggested. It sure beats having to deal with all of this.

Before this breakdown the car was running fine, and there was no signs of impending engine problems as far as I can tell...

I can provide more details later on when I have more time for posting. Hopefully I will have some new info from the dealer by then as well.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Like the good credit towards a new/cpo car which should be at least the 10k they would have ate plus your car high value.