Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2011 Q5 2.0T mysterious FIRE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you pushing for another Q5, or would you be ok with another model? And would they be able to get you one without the usual months long wait? I guess the only way they could do that is grab one from an existing dealer allocation.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gat821
Are you pushing for another Q5, or would you be ok with another model? And would they be able to get you one without the usual months long wait? I guess the only way they could do that is grab one from an existing dealer allocation.
Their offer is 3k off whatever price you can negotiate down till, doesn't matter what model or if you have to order it or not, whatever price I haggle down to, they will take another 3k off that price. Right now, I am not looking to get myself into another Audi.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by wclepse
How many miles on your car? I don't know if they still use it but back when my wife got hers ('01) we smelled something and could actually see it dripping in places, we were told it was cosmoline. I think it is supposed to protect it through transport but burns/melts its way off. I think we noted it around 5-10k. I wouldn't be surprised to find out this was an oil leak that hit the turbo. I think the Subaru Legacy had a bad batch of oil lines that could leak and did cause similar fires. But as I recall there was no advanced warning, the owners didn't report any burning sound until there was smoke. But if you are concerned have a mechanic look at it, more than likely it is fine.
When i picked this up back in october my sales did warn me that once you turn off the engine you will smell some sort of burning, which she said was fine, it will go away in due time. I only had about 7300 miles on the car.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kidd07
Their offer is 3k off whatever price you can negotiate down till, doesn't matter what model or if you have to order it or not, whatever price I haggle down to, they will take another 3k off that price. Right now, I am not looking to get myself into another Audi.
WOW, 3K is nothing! Considering your car caught on fire I would expect more than a measly 3k. Its too bad Audi is not standing behind the brand and making things right! It makes me second guess my purchase...
Old 04-12-2011, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope your situation gets resolved in a manner which you find satisfying. I myself would be none to pleased w/ only 3k taken off.

I hope you wouldn't leave the brand if you loved your Q5 before this fire...it clearly is not a common thing.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry if I may have missed this in a previous post, but what is your insurance company's take in this whole matter? Shouldn't your comprehensive coverage apply in this case and then your insurer would take the lead in working out a settlement with Audi if the fire resulted from a defect?
Old 04-13-2011, 08:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audi40
Sorry if I may have missed this in a previous post, but what is your insurance company's take in this whole matter? Shouldn't your comprehensive coverage apply in this case and then your insurer would take the lead in working out a settlement with Audi if the fire resulted from a defect?
well audi wants to take responsibility, and no have to go through all that insurance bs. I have allstate, they are taking steps to total the car and stuff, but audi just wants to take care of everything from their end. lets see what happens in the next few days.

Originally Posted by veedubmac
I hope your situation gets resolved in a manner which you find satisfying. I myself would be none to pleased w/ only 3k taken off.

I hope you wouldn't leave the brand if you loved your Q5 before this fire...it clearly is not a common thing.
well i definately loved the audi q5, and i know that it is not a common thing, but right now i dont really feel comfortable getting back into one, and its a really long wait for one now. I will definately be back into one next year when my lexus lease is up.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Can we get in touch?

Hi Jackie,

Recently another Q5 has caught fire in the Toronto area. Can we get in touch to discuss your experience?

I'm working on a story for Global news here in Toronto.

-Christy

Hello Guys

I just got home from a long ordeal when I was out in New York City tonight. As I was parked near the south street seaport, waiting for my passenger to come down from their apartment, My new 2011 Audi Q5 2.0T mysterious caught on fire. I was sitting in the car, called them to let them know that I have arrived downstairs, parked the car and after the phone call, 2 bystanders walking by started yelling that my car was on fire. I was shocked, so I quickly turned off the car and Originally I thought that they were kidding, cause its a brand new car. It cannot happen, so as i walked out i was shocked to see that a small fire has started right below my right headlight, and I saw that the bumper area around that light was starting to melt. A few seconds later as I ran into my car to get my phone to call 911, the radiator and other parts of the front bumper was on fire. As I was on the phone with the Fire Department, telling them my location, the tires pop, Everyone ducked thinking the car would explode. The flames was engulfing the entire front end of the car, bumper, and hood, everything was on fire.

A the fire trucks showed up, the radiator blew, and luckly the FDNY was only 2 blocks away so they got there really quick and put out the fire. The FDNY guy said it has to be something electrical that sparked the fire. I have no idea, and will wait until the investigations comes back.

I am way too tired right now, so as I sleep this off and count my blessings that it wasn't worse, I could have been trapped in the car. I will post pictures of the after math tomorrow morning.

My question is, has anyone experienced this or heard of someone's Audi burn out of nowhere. I was parked, not even moving, I was not smoking, all of a sudden the front end was on fire.

Jackie
Old 02-10-2024, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default It just happened

Hello Guys

it just happened to me! The car was parked for 3 days and still it was caught on fire! How did you resolve this issue, with the insurance or audi??
just curious on why can I do next

I just got home from a long ordeal when I was out in New York City tonight. As I was parked near the south street seaport, waiting for my passenger to come down from their apartment, My new 2011 Audi Q5 2.0T mysterious caught on fire. I was sitting in the car, called them to let them know that I have arrived downstairs, parked the car and after the phone call, 2 bystanders walking by started yelling that my car was on fire. I was shocked, so I quickly turned off the car and Originally I thought that they were kidding, cause its a brand new car. It cannot happen, so as i walked out i was shocked to see that a small fire has started right below my right headlight, and I saw that the bumper area around that light was starting to melt. A few seconds later as I ran into my car to get my phone to call 911, the radiator and other parts of the front bumper was on fire. As I was on the phone with the Fire Department, telling them my location, the tires pop, Everyone ducked thinking the car would explode. The flames was engulfing the entire front end of the car, bumper, and hood, everything was on fire.

A the fire trucks showed up, the radiator blew, and luckly the FDNY was only 2 blocks away so they got there really quick and put out the fire. The FDNY guy said it has to be something electrical that sparked the fire. I have no idea, and will wait until the investigations comes back.

I am way too tired right now, so as I sleep this off and count my blessings that it wasn't worse, I could have been trapped in the car. I will post pictures of the after math tomorrow morning.

My question is, has anyone experienced this or heard of someone's Audi burn out of nowhere. I was parked, not even moving, I was not smoking, all of a sudden the front end was on fire.

Jackie

Jackie[/QUOTE]