Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2011 Q5 oil problems related to pistons

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Q5 oil problems related to pistons

We bought a 2011 Q5 with 73,000 miles on it. Discovered about two months ago that the car is consuming oil. No leaks. After researching, we see that there was a recall. Just spoke to an Audi dealer, he said we need new pistons, he said that we are not eligible for any help from the manufacturer and the cost to replace pistons is about $7500-8,500 Anyone have any ideas in getting the manufacturer to be responsible for any of this? We had to take out a loan to purchase the car I’m sick over this
Old 06-10-2019, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

You need pistons + rings + conrods + distribution kit, and, very likely a new water pump + PCV valve, if you are lucky your rear main seal is OK and you don't need to replace it (as you don't have leaks). Now, $7,500 is an obscenity, you can get a new engine for that money, a respectable Indy shop would do the job for $3,000-$3,500, do some research on your area.
I know it's a hard pill to swallow, but the internet is full of information about early 2.0T Q5 (2009-2012), they are very well known to guzzle oil. Audi issued a warranty extension a couple of years ago, 8 years or 80K miles I believe (link), please research on this as your last resort, they will require a clean service sheet, specially oil changes though. Once fixed these engines run just fine. Good luck!
Old 06-10-2019, 06:26 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Sorry to hear your troubles. There is little hope and I sincerely hope that you learn your lesson from this.

You did not do your due diligence when researching used cars. The Audi 2.0T has many known issues with oil consumption. It wasn't a recall so much as a class action lawsuit settlement. Any issues would have needed to be addressed while that car was still under warranty years ago. If you had posted here prior to buying then someone likely would have been able to advise you of this. Also any competent mechanic who you could take it to have it independently inspected prior to purchase should have advised you of these issues as well as other potentially expensive repairs. (Timing chain, turbo...etc.etc.)
If you required a loan to buy what is about a $6000-$9000 car then you bought the wrong car. I'm sure you wanted utility, luxury, prestige...whatever, but the car was too much for you. You would have been better served getting a smaller, newer domestic hatchback or something with a warranty.

Since the quote you received to fix is more than the value of the car I would either take the loss and trade it if possible (unethically passing the issue to someone else) or just keep dumping oil in it and drive the thing into the ground. I know neither is what you wanted to hear but sometimes these things are learned the hard way. Final option would be to find an independent shop to fix it but will probably still be in the $5000 range and then once that is done there is no guarantee you won't run into other issues.

Again, sorry.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

What is the build date of the Q5? There is a visible information plate when you open the driver’s door with that date.

You should be covered until 8 years, or 80K miles, which ever comes first, for engine repair on Audi.

Did you purchase the vehicle from a dealer, an Audi dealer? Or from a private party?

Last resort call corporate Audi, open a case with them (get the case number). They just may work with you to pick up the bill or lower the cost substantially.

How much oil are consuming?