Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2011 Q5- Pandora Radio HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Q5- Pandora Radio HELP

I have an iPhone 6, would like a way to connect the phone to the vehicle and be able to listen to pandora. I've been told by a few to purchase a Bluetooth adapter for the aux cable that's located in the glove box. I'm hesitant because I want to make sure that what I purchase will work not only for iTunes but also to play pandora. I prefer to not have to leave my phone in my glove box, which is why I'm curious about the Bluetooth option. However I'm open to using a long cable if I can convert the 30pin to USB and run a long cable from the glovebox to my phone. Looking to spend around $100 if I need to get this working. Anyone have any suggestions (other than using the SD cards, leaving my old iPod in the box) my main goal here is to be able to listen to pandora... If anyone has had a device or idea that has worked would love to know!
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cmpichler
I have an iPhone 6, would like a way to connect the phone to the vehicle and be able to listen to pandora. I've been told by a few to purchase a Bluetooth adapter for the aux cable that's located in the glove box. I'm hesitant because I want to make sure that what I purchase will work not only for iTunes but also to play pandora. I prefer to not have to leave my phone in my glove box, which is why I'm curious about the Bluetooth option. However I'm open to using a long cable if I can convert the 30pin to USB and run a long cable from the glovebox to my phone. Looking to spend around $100 if I need to get this working. Anyone have any suggestions (other than using the SD cards, leaving my old iPod in the box) my main goal here is to be able to listen to pandora... If anyone has had a device or idea that has worked would love to know!
Thanks in advance.
Does your car not come with Bluetooth? Couldn't you just sync MMI with your phone and launch Pandora from your phone?
Old 03-30-2016, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It does have Bluetooth, however it's only accessible with the call feature. It will not access media/audio related. :-(
Old 03-30-2016, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

It does have Bluetooth, however it's only accessible with the call feature. It will not access media/audio related. :-(
Your MMI does not come with the Bluetooth Audio Player option? I used to stream music on my 2012 Q7 all the time. Haven't tried it on the Q5 yet but I would think it would be possible to do so also. Check out this link and see if you have the options.

Skip to the 1:30 mark.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is a better video but looks like it only works on 2013+ models.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hopefully the photos uploaded. Compared to the video, I think it's because my Audi is older, it doesn't offer the Bluetooth feature because it has the AMI in the glovebox.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hopefully the p

hotos uploaded. Compared to the video, I think it's because my Audi is older, it doesn't offer the Bluetooth feature because it has the AMI in the glovebox.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

That is correct. According to the second video I linked, this feature was added to the 2013+ models. I have it on my 2015 Q5.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Lucky you ;-)
Now I just need to find someone who has this same set up and how they got music to stream...
Thanks for your help!
Old 03-30-2016, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Lucky you ;-)
Now I just need to find someone who has this same set up and how they got music to stream...
Thanks for your help!
Hi. I can help you. I had a 2010 Q5 so I fully understand. There are two types of bluetooth adapters that will work with your iphone. The cheap ones will allow Pandora and other streaming services to pass through the 30-pin cable wirelessly. The more expensive one allows your iphone to be controlled like an ipod by the MMI system. So if you have music on your iphone you would want the more expensive solution. You can also do bluetooth streaming to the audio jack MMI adapter. So I have given you three solutions.

Cheap solution example:
Amazon.com: Iphone 30-PIN dock Bluetooth Receivers, Habor Latest Bluetooth A2DP Music Audio Receiver Adapter for Bose Sounddock and 30-Pin iPod iPhone Dock Speaker: Electronics Amazon.com: Iphone 30-PIN dock Bluetooth Receivers, Habor Latest Bluetooth A2DP Music Audio Receiver Adapter for Bose Sounddock and 30-Pin iPod iPhone Dock Speaker: Electronics

IPOD solution:

Amazon.com: Bluetooth Adapter for Audi and Volkswagen iPod iPhone AMI Cable - CoolStream CarPro: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Bluetooth Adapter for Audi and Volkswagen iPod iPhone AMI Cable - CoolStream CarPro: Cell Phones & Accessories

Amazon.com: Bovee Viseeo Tune2air WMA1000 - Wireless Bluetooth Music Interface Adaptor for Audi, Mercedes, and Volkswagen with 30 pin iPod connector - Compatible with iPod Touch 4th & 5th Gen , iPad 1 to 4 , iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPhone 4 , 5, 6, 6 plus: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Bovee Viseeo Tune2air WMA1000 - Wireless Bluetooth Music Interface Adaptor for Audi, Mercedes, and Volkswagen with 30 pin iPod connector - Compatible with iPod Touch 4th & 5th Gen , iPad 1 to 4 , iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPhone 4 , 5, 6, 6 plus: Cell Phones & Accessories

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 03-30-2016 at 11:31 AM.

Quick Reply: 2011 Q5- Pandora Radio HELP