Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2012 Audi Q5: Gearbox malfunction (No reverse) but you may continue to drive.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 02:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Audi Q5: Gearbox malfunction (No reverse) but you may continue to drive.

All - I own a 2012 Audi Q5. Today, as soon as i started my car, i observed some difference, when i drove like 0.2 miles, i pulled up the car to a parking lot and stood for some time. Later when i started the car, i observed a warning messages one dashboard, that says :-
1) Gearbox malfunction (No reverse) but you may continue to drive.
2) Limited functionality.

Wasn't sure what went wrong. It has 29000 miles on it. This car is also on Warranty.

Any suggestions please.

Thanks,
Veera Chitturi
Old 03-23-2014, 04:05 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

No ideas, I'd suggest driving (or getting it towed) to your dealer.. Let them figure it out.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
No ideas, I'd suggest driving (or getting it towed) to your dealer.. Let them figure it out.
I wasn't comfortable in driving. I have to give lot of gas/acceleration to get if moving. Somehow managed to get back home slowly. Some shifting problem is in there. Had a roadside assistance with Audi. So, would call them tomorrow morning.

Thanks,
Veera
Old 03-23-2014, 04:57 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Sounds like it put itself in it's "limp home" mode. Many cases the problem is not within the transmission, but is instead related to some other sensor. The transmission stops trying allowing the torque converter to lock, and goes into a higher gear, to let you get to safety. It may reset itself after turning the car off and back on, but if not, best bet is to have it towed.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

The "no reverse" message means the transmission or transmission electronic controls are failing. Needing lots of gas to move could mean the same thing. I wouldn't bother waiting, just call them and have the dealer make an appointment, reserve a loaner car for you and get your car in first thing.

Odds are it will be out for two or three days while the transmission is being serviced.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Got the car from the dealership. It is there for two days at dealership and they said something related to transmission.

So far it's good.

Regards,
Veera
Old 12-09-2015, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi a7 same problem girebox malfunction (no reverse)

Originally Posted by Katavaram7
All - I own a 2012 Audi Q5. Today, as soon as i started my car, i observed some difference, when i drove like 0.2 miles, i pulled up the car to a parking lot and stood for some time. Later when i started the car, i observed a warning messages one dashboard, that says :-
1) Gearbox malfunction (No reverse) but you may continue to drive.
2) Limited functionality.

Wasn't sure what went wrong. It has 29000 miles on it. This car is also on Warranty.

Any suggestions please.

Thanks,
Veera Chitturi
Hello i have audi7 3.0 tdi 245 quattro not for to long time, and today i got this massage like your's! Gire box malfunction ( no reverse)
Can you tel me what was your problem?
Have you fixed?
How much cost?
What have you changed?
Pls explain me about this because my car is not in waranti and i'm afraid that i have to pay alot for fix it
( sorry for my englease)
Thank in advance!
Old 04-04-2016, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a Q5 2011 model with 0B5 DSG transmission.

This morning I had the same warning message after driving away from home for 2 minutes. After this message the transmission was stuck in the first gear not shifting up. This what I did:
- I parked the car on a side after driving for few minutes
- Switched the car off then turn accessories on (Engine no start)
- Pressed the throttle pedal fully for 30 seconds
- Released the pedal
- Switched on the car as usual
Everything is normal now and did not have the warning message again, though I drove the car for 2 long trips after that incident.
The 30 seconds pedal pressing was something I read somewhere long ago on another Audi model to reset the transmission learning. I have no proof that this has any impact on my 0B5 DSG but I always feel improvement in the transmission whenever I perform it, especially when the car starts jerking heavily on shifting from 3 to 2 (and 2 to 1).
Old 07-24-2016, 12:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Gearbox malfucntion you may continue to drive

While turning on my car after few minutes I had an error message on my screen "Gearbox malfunction you may continue to drive with limited functionality" and then went off, next day I went to one garage who handles German cars, upon checking he found the error saying "clutch limitation due to temperature". His conclusion was the battery which was giving me this issue. I did have some battery issues since past few days specially during the car start up. So far its been one week I do not have any error as of now, just hoping no further surprises.
Did anyone encounter such error due to battery.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Any computer system can be corrupted if the power to it is also corrupted. A low battery, or an intermittent connection, could theoretically do that to anything. (Although proper engineering and programming can ensure against that, too.)

It wouldn't be a surprise. If your mechanic cleared the codes and addressed the battery issue a week ago, there may be no more surprises.

Quick Reply: 2012 Audi Q5: Gearbox malfunction (No reverse) but you may continue to drive.