Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2012 Audi Q5: Gearbox malfunction (No reverse) but you may continue to drive.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I get that message I find the hall effect sensor in the shift motor is going bad. Should be a pretty simple fix for the guys at the dealer. I saw this once from a q5 but sent it to the dealer bc of warranty. The customer that had the error message said it comes on randomly, and loses pulling power, then he pulls over and restarts the car and it doesnt come back on for a few miles.

I always get nervous messing with cars still under warranty. I feel like if I look at them wrong, the dealer will know and null the warranty on the customer when he brings it in, ha.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you Redd and transman,

Unfortunately the message came again so now I am little worried as my car is out of warranty. I have an chance to extend the warranty provided I do some 300 points test but I believe if I take to Audi for 300 points test for sure they will find it, any idea I can get rid of this message so they wont detect and I can extend my warranty. I can still drive the car without much issues. It only lag little bit I mean power is not the same as before.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Ignoring the ethical questions of hiding the error...If the car is just past warranty, and would have been eligible for extended warranty, it is possible that the dealer and AoA might be willing to make some compromise here. You made a mistake (their way of thinking) by going to an indy shop who said the problem was just a power glitch. OK, admit the mistake, apologize for it. (Ha.) Then move on to "The car is just past warranty and I was going to come in and buy the extended warranty..." and diplomatically offer to buy that if the dealer can cover this glitch under it. He may say yes, especially if the code can be cleared. Or he may come back with an offer to pay for part of the repair, even if you don't buy the extended warranty.

At this point? Probably best all around to just pick a "not hectic" time of the week, see the service manager, and try to negotiate a deal. Based on giving them your business, and a little "accommodation and good will" from the dealer and AoA for a customer who is just past warranty, with an intermittent problem that started while the warranty was running out.

Sometimes, some of them surprise you. Can't hurt to ask.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you Redd, I did spoke to service manager and explained him the entire incidents. As per them to proceed for extended warranty checklist and they will see what they can do. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Gearbox error related to low battery.

Originally Posted by pradman
While turning on my car after few minutes I had an error message on my screen "Gearbox malfunction you may continue to drive with limited functionality" and then went off, next day I went to one garage who handles German cars, upon checking he found the error saying "clutch limitation due to temperature". His conclusion was the battery which was giving me this issue. I did have some battery issues since past few days specially during the car start up. So far its been one week I do not have any error as of now, just hoping no further surprises.
Did anyone encounter such error due to battery.
I had the same on '08 S5. Audi replaced keyfob battery and error cleared. Car going fine. Also keeping fingers crossed.
Main battery was replaced last week coincidentally.

BTW for RSA - JHB location Audi Gearbox errors - Read Mechatronic. Go to erlemann's Gearbox Engineering I was there 2 years and 31000 KMS ago (was auction "as is" purchase) and apart from the above error the gearbox has been flawless. Repair cost was 20% that quoted by dealership.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Good day fellow members,

I am experiencing what seems to be an "intermittent" issue with my 2011 Q5. A couple months ago my vehicle would not gear up from 1st nor would it go into reverse. I sent it to the dealership and they wanted to charge me an arm and a leg for a new Megateonics for the gearbox. I decided not to immediately do the repairs, they reassembled my vehicle and miraculously it was working as designed.

After doing my investigation it seems as though just a solenoid in the Megateonics is the faulty piece and requires replacing however they do not sell this part separately.

Can anyone advise where I could source this part online? From my understands it's the N437 solenoid if that makes sense?

I am based in Dubai but obviously any place I will purchase it from and courier to me

Your help will be much appreciated

Kind regards
Greg
Old 05-22-2018, 11:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Madalina-Claudia Ciuciuc
Hello i have audi7 3.0 tdi 245 quattro not for to long time, and today i got this massage like your's! Gire box malfunction ( no reverse)
Can you tel me what was your problem?
Have you fixed?
How much cost?
What have you changed?
Pls explain me about this because my car is not in waranti and i'm afraid that i have to pay alot for fix it
( sorry for my englease)
Thank in advance!
hie
This is all because of transmission valve body electric malfunction.
May be fault in the PCB 1 or 2
Nor the solenoid valve fault.
Can be rectified by replacing transmission valve body service kit
Regards banu
Old 05-27-2018, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Banu Bharath
hie
This is all because of transmission valve body electric malfunction.
May be fault in the PCB 1 or 2
Nor the solenoid valve fault.
Can be rectified by replacing transmission valve body service kit
Regards banu
​​​​​We replaced the mechatronic unit and the car has been working perfectly ever since
Old 10-03-2019, 11:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Greg Q5
Good day fellow members,

I am experiencing what seems to be an "intermittent" issue with my 2011 Q5. A couple months ago my vehicle would not gear up from 1st nor would it go into reverse. I sent it to the dealership and they wanted to charge me an arm and a leg for a new Megateonics for the gearbox. I decided not to immediately do the repairs, they reassembled my vehicle and miraculously it was working as designed.

After doing my investigation it seems as though just a solenoid in the Megateonics is the faulty piece and requires replacing however they do not sell this part separately.

Can anyone advise where I could source this part online? From my understands it's the N437 solenoid if that makes sense?

I am based in Dubai but obviously any place I will purchase it from and courier to me

Your help will be much appreciated

Kind regards
Greg
Hi Greg, au also live in Dubai did you manage to fix the issue with the fix above and also find a supplier for the part.

thanks
gareth
Old 12-29-2020, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Q5
​​​​​We replaced the mechatronic unit and the car has been working perfectly ever since
I have the same issue with my A7. What did you change?

Quick Reply: 2012 Audi Q5: Gearbox malfunction (No reverse) but you may continue to drive.