AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/)
-   -   2013 Q5 Hybrid sometimes takes 2 tries to start (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/2013-q5-hybrid-sometimes-takes-2-tries-start-3041856/)

Steppenaudi 06-22-2022 08:27 AM

2013 Q5 Hybrid sometimes takes 2 tries to start

This happens infrequently but often enough to be annoying. 60,168 miles on vehicle, 12V batteries changed a year or so ago. Completely clear VCDS scan.

When this happens while pressing on the brake pedal, first try the speedometer does it’s sweep but the hybrid gauge needle stays at 6 o’clock instead of changing to the 9 o’clock position (“Ready”). Some warning lights come on. Engine doesn’t start. Looks like I tried starting without the brake pedal pressed.

Turn everything off with the start button, then try restarting vehicle. Vehicle starts normally on second try every time.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas of the cause?

MP4.2+6.0 06-22-2022 07:39 PM

Our Hybrid ended up technically totaled two years ago w/ a sideswipe insurance claim, and never experienced this out thru its life w/ us to about 75K. Probably still on road w/ a few junkyard doors, but who knows.

Just as a WAG--maybe try replacing brake switch itself?...esentially for the symptoms you yourself describe. On my prior mid millennium era D3, that was a known fail point. I also recall it typically did not generate a code, and IIRC didn't necessarily kill the actual brake lights either. Switch might have had parallel functions.

Another scenario BTW is consider the gear shift interlock. Q5 still had a mechanical type shift linkage, so if the shifter position contacts there have issues another possibility. But if you aren't touching the gear shift as the problem arises and then resolves, probably not that. Early Audis had that set up in the shifter area itself; it might have moved over the years to the transmission linkage connection. Parts diagram or shop manual would clarify.

Steppenaudi 06-23-2022 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0 (Post 25721896)
Our Hybrid ended up technically totaled two years ago w/ a sideswipe insurance claim, and never experienced this out thru its life w/ us to about 75K. Probably still on road w/ a few junkyard doors, but who knows.

Just as a WAG--maybe try replacing brake switch itself?...esentially for the symptoms you yourself describe. On my prior mid millennium era D3, that was a known fail point. I also recall it typically did not generate a code, and IIRC didn't necessarily kill the actual brake lights either. Switch might have had parallel functions.

Another scenario BTW is consider the gear shift interlock. Q5 still had a mechanical type shift linkage, so if the shifter position contacts there have issues another possibility. But if you aren't touching the gear shift as the problem arises and then resolves, probably not that. Early Audis had that set up in the shifter area itself; it might have moved over the years to the transmission linkage connection. Parts diagram or shop manual would clarify.

Thanks for the response. I’m going to look into replacing the brake switch.

rdA4WtQ5 06-24-2022 05:03 AM

Does it start and run for a second and then shut off before it starts right up?
Only when cold?
Only when warm?
Only when warm and sat for a half hour?

Steppenaudi 06-24-2022 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5 (Post 25722249)
Does it start and run for a second and then shut off before it starts right up?

No

Only when cold?
Only when warm?
Only when warm and sat for a half hour?

It’s pretty intermittent, but I believe it happens both cold & warm. More often warm I believe.

rdA4WtQ5 06-24-2022 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Steppenaudi (Post 25722318)
It’s pretty intermittent, but I believe it happens both cold & warm. More often warm I believe.

I just reread your post. Not only does it not start but it does not even crank the first time? My 2011 regular Q5 did something similar and it was the ECU relay going bad (lots of codes).
With no codes I would use VCDS to look at live data from the brake switch circuit first and then gear shift interlock as per MP4 to see if you can get either of those to misbehave without even trying to start the car before replacing any parts.

Steppenaudi 06-26-2022 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5 (Post 25722329)
I just reread your post. Not only does it not start but it does not even crank the first time? My 2011 regular Q5 did something similar and it was the ECU relay going bad (lots of codes).
With no codes I would use VCDS to look at live data from the brake switch circuit first and then gear shift interlock as per MP4 to see if you can get either of those to misbehave without even trying to start the car before replacing any parts.

looking at live data is a good idea. Thanks!

Chege1980 03-27-2023 08:10 AM

Hey @ MP4.2+6.0, took me a while to get to you but finally saw how to subscribe and message you from other forums.

I'm about to purchase a 2013 Q5 Hybrid with 44k miles. I have never owned a Audi or Hybrid for that matter. Are there any concerns i should know or experiences you had that were unexpected? I saw you wrote a lot about the zep battery. Please share anything you think would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

Chege1980 03-27-2023 08:14 AM

I should also add that this is a Prestige model. Thanks again

Norskie 03-27-2023 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Chege1980 (Post 25802414)
I have never owned a Audi or Hybrid for that matter. Are there any concerns i should know or experiences you had that were unexpected? I saw you wrote a lot about the zep battery. Please share anything you think would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

Purchase an extended warranty.