Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

TSBs for heated seats + iPhone BT connectivity: cost?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSBs for heated seats + iPhone BT connectivity: cost?

I have a 2012 Q5, and have two problems for which TSBs exist: problems with iPhone Bluetooth connection (# 2022800/2), and heated seats not getting as warm as they should (2028257/8).

Of course only the dealer can address these. But none of the local dealers will give me an estimate over the phone, and I don’t want to bring it in only to find that this is a several-hundred-dollars fix.

Anybody have any idea what kind of $$ I’m probably looking at?

Old 10-22-2018, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

My guess is it is indeed that several hours bracketing. Don't know the TSB, but if it is MMI related update, those get into that zone. Even if tech only really is on the car job for 20 or 30 min hands on time, they charge for elapsed time including download and updating, or at least tend to work it into their flat rates that way.

On bluetooth, FWIW don't be too sure it is on the "car side" at all. I would say 95% of the many hundreds of posts I have seen go by or added to ended up NOT being on the Audi side. Instead, most are phone side if the loop is every closed in the thread. Makes sense to me with phones that in real world get jostled every day, dropped occasionally and much else.

My all time best/worst was when I nailed handsfree issue down definitively to my iPhone 6S after being able to repeat same issue across two different Audi's--2013 Q5 and 2006 A8. I could hear callers, but they could not hear me. At first I thought it was my A8 too since phone was almost "new" (more below). But I realized the day it worked correctly in my wife's Q5 that it had to be a phone side issue. The "Geniuses" at literally the de facto flagship store in the country--the Palo Alto one where you see the smiling Tim Cook welcome the buyers at every big iphone first day--swore it was the car side and it all checked out according to their ultra sophisticated (not) testing. Nope. And since I had tested across two cars, I knew to hold my ground. Problem was, when I poked carefully how exactly they tested it the Geniuses didn't even know "phone" Bluetooth is different than music bluetooth (A2DP) and were only testing the radios with music related A2DP devices. When they finally dredged up a phone related speakerphone peripheral, they learned that indeed the two are different and it was in fact their phone. Even better, they had replaced the phone only two weeks earlier after the SIM interface took a dump--which they also tried to fob off on AT&T and led to my first run around. In turn was tested with a known good SIM, first by ATT then by the Geniuses. So, twice in a row same phone Geniuses were 100% mistaken and it was the Apple product both times.

Moral of story, double and triple check phone side, particularly with a DIFFERENT known good car w/ bluetooth. Also segregate your issue between phone reception Bluetooth and music A2DP Bluetooth, and test that area specifically in the other known good vehicle. If it checks out in other vehicle, yes head to Audi. If not, make a U Turn back to the Apple store and the "Geniuses."

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-22-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
My guess is it is indeed that several hours bracketing. Don't know the TSB, but if it is MMI related update, those get into that zone. Even if tech only really is on the car job for 20 or 30 min hands on time, they charge for elapsed time including download and updating, or at least tend to work it into their flat rates that way.

On bluetooth, FWIW don't be too sure it is on the "car side" at all. I would say 95% of the many hundreds of posts I have seen go by or added to ended up NOT being on the Audi side. Instead, most are phone side if the loop is every closed in the thread. Makes sense to me with phones that in real world get jostled every day, dropped occasionally and much else.

My all time best/worst was when I nailed handsfree issue down definitively to my iPhone 6S after being able to repeat same issue across two different Audi's--2013 Q5 and 2006 A8. I could hear callers, but they could not hear me. At first I thought it was my A8 too since phone was almost "new" (more below). But I realized the day it worked correctly in my wife's Q5 that it had to be a phone side issue. The "Geniuses" at literally the de facto flagship store in the country--the Palo Alto one where you see the smiling Tim Cook welcome the buyers at every big iphone first day--swore it was the car side and it all checked out according to their ultra sophisticated (not) testing. Nope. And since I had tested across two cars, I knew to hold my ground. Problem was, when I poked carefully how exactly they tested it the Geniuses didn't even know "phone" Bluetooth is different than music bluetooth (A2DP) and were only testing the radios with music related A2DP devices. When they finally dredged up a phone related speakerphone peripheral, they learned that indeed the two are different and it was in fact their phone. Even better, they had replaced the phone only two weeks earlier after the SIM interface took a dump--which they also tried to fob off on AT&T and led to my first run around. In turn was tested with a known good SIM, first by ATT then by the Geniuses. So, twice in a row same phone Geniuses were 100% mistaken and it was the Apple product both times.

Moral of story, double and triple check phone side, particularly with a DIFFERENT known good car w/ bluetooth. Also segregate your issue between phone reception Bluetooth and music A2DP Bluetooth, and test that area specifically in the other known good vehicle. If it checks out in other vehicle, yes head to Audi. If not, make a U Turn back to the Apple store and the "Geniuses."

MPThe problem I’ve had with iPhone & Audi Bluetooth, with all 4 of my Q5s, is that various ringtones and other sounds from the phone other than the main ringer are disabled while paired. Incoming and outgoing calls work just fine over the car speakers.All other audible notifications, texts, email, and voicemail are silenced on the phone and car speakers.Even the keyboard click is disabled on my phone when connected to the car.So on a long trip, I only see these when I stop the car and look at the phone which can be several hours in between.Missed some important stuff like that. Is this a “phone thing” too or just the way it works with Audi?I apologize if this has already been covered somewhere, didn’t find much on a search.Tks

Old 10-22-2018, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by HZ60
MPThe problem I’ve had with iPhone & Audi Bluetooth, with all 4 of my Q5s, is that various ringtones and other sounds from the phone other than the main ringer are disabled while paired. Incoming and outgoing calls work just fine over the car speakers.All other audible notifications, texts, email, and voicemail are silenced on the phone and car speakers.Even the keyboard click is disabled on my phone when connected to the car.So on a long trip, I only see these when I stop the car and look at the phone which can be several hours in between.Missed some important stuff like that. Is this a “phone thing” too or just the way it works with Audi?I apologize if this has already been covered somewhere, didn’t find much on a search.Tks
I don't know on those specifics and don't use phone that way in general for distractions. If I notice the occasional ping for a message or email, my memory is it comes thru only the phone unit--on any of my prior 2006 A8, my 2013 Q5 or my 2015 S8 (which has 2017 level MMI rev.). As to question meantime for other self help--but mostly if you think it was working differently/better before--variously I would try each of:

An MMI reset--see manual for the buttons to push
Phone power off
Phone reset at lowest level--"Erase All Settings" but not any of the content erase choices
Make sure iOS is at current rev.
As mentioned before, test phone with other known good Bluetooth set up vehicle, preferably Audi MMI for most "like to like" comparo.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't know on those specifics and don't use phone that way in general for distractions. If I notice the occasional ping for a message or email, my memory is it comes thru only the phone unit--on any of my prior 2006 A8, my 2013 Q5 or my 2015 S8 (which has 2017 level MMI rev.). As to question meantime for other self help--but mostly if you think it was working differently/better before--variously I would try each of:

An MMI reset--see manual for the buttons to push
Phone power off
Phone reset at lowest level--"Erase All Settings" but not any of the content erase choices
Make sure iOS is at current rev.
As mentioned before, test phone with other known good Bluetooth set up vehicle, preferably Audi MMI for most "like to like" comparo.
Ok, tks for the suggestions. I don't use the phone that way either while driving. Would never try to read a txt, email etc. until stopped. It would be nice though to be able to hear that ding or chirp or whatever letting me know something came in so I can stop and check it. Maybe Audi decided that the main phone call sound is the only thing that's safe so they somehow disabled the rest? It's just weird that everything on the phone is silenced as well as the car. I'll give your ideas a shot and maybe try it with a different phone. IDK and it's really not a big deal. How did we ever survive before cell phones?
Old 10-23-2018, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The phone makes and receives calls just fine (well, occasionally it doesn’t connect properly but usually it’s fine), it just hangs on “downloading phone book” which never completes, which matches the specific situation mentioned in the TSB; and the phone has worked perfectly on a 2011 VW Tiguan and several rental cars.

As for the heated seats: the solution referenced in the TSB is just to modify the target temperature for the seats, as the problem is that the sensor is “muffled” by additional material that was added to the seat for this model year, so it reads a lower temperature than it should.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dmauer

The phone makes and receives calls just fine (well, occasionally it doesn’t connect properly but usually it’s fine), it just hangs on “downloading phone book” which never completes, which matches the specific situation mentioned in the TSB; and the phone has worked perfectly on a 2011 VW Tiguan and several rental cars.

As for the heated seats: the solution referenced in the TSB is just to modify the target temperature for the seats, as the problem is that the sensor is “muffled” by additional material that was added to the seat for this model year, so it reads a lower temperature than it should.
Sorry for hijacking your thread.
The original question was about cost. At approx. $100-$130 / hour standard dealer shop labor rate, yes, you’re probably looking at a “several-hundred-dollars fix” IMO. The dealers you contacted should know the time allotted for each TSB and should at least be able give you a ballpark number. These both look like software / firmware updates which sometimes involve communicating with the servers in Germany. If so, it will take much longer than something they can do with their equipment locally and obviously cost more.