Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2014 Q5 28k stumbles first 30 sec when cold?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by apoelistas
Vcds is out of the question?? One dealer visit worth is what it costs no??
Can't agree more, I've lost the count of money saved on trips to the dealer to fix simple things, from door lock actuators to fuel cap issues. I've not done any brake jobs myself, but I plan to do so when my rear pads wear out, that alone will save me another $200 easily.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vcds is out of the question?? One dealer visit worth is what it costs no??
Thanks for the quick reply. Its not the money for that device as much as buying another device that will get so little use that it just accummulates dust in my basement along with all the others devices over the years!

As stated above "I did go to the dealer already with the issue". See pic. I also hate to go to any dealer out of warranty. They wanted to change the plugs (SUV has 28K) but they were correct on the city driving so I changed the plugs myself.
THEN he also wanted to "change the brake fluid". AND do a 4 wheel alignment. You drive over their rip off alignment machine when you bring the SUV in for an appt.

I say "ripoff" since I had 4 new Yokohomas tires put on at my tire shop only 2 weeks prior and I took it to another shop that he recommended as the tire shop does not do alignments and they checked the alignment which was OK.

$199 estimate for alignment, $176 brake fluid change and no estimate noted if they did the plugs (I'm guessing +$300). I pity the poor fools that go into an dealer for after warranty services! That would have been over an $800 bill! I can afford a BMW and an Audi, I just don't want to own them out of warranty and have to deal with unscrupulous dealers. This Audi will be upgraded to a 2019 after the 2020's are introduced.

Check out what their computer printout found. I also (as above) change the air filter). What is "sec air system" as thats what they note can cause initial start up stumbling?

Note: I just called NAPA. They say NGK does not offer a hotter plug for this Audi Q5.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by expidia

Check out what their computer printout found. I also (as above) change the air filter). What is "sec air system" as thats what they note can cause initial start up stumbling?

Note: I just called NAPA. They say NGK does not offer a hotter plug for this Audi Q5.
The secondary air system uses an air pump to suck air from airbox and feed that to the engine for cleaner CO2. I assume the secondary air system(or what ever that is called) has a leak or air pump not working properly.

Last edited by apoelistas; 06-19-2019 at 05:51 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

isI understand that the VCDS a good device to have. But at my age I pay my monthly car payment (I always buy a year old model with low mileage outight, have never leased) on a luxury vehicle and expect to turn the key and drive away with no issues.
Only to have to renew brakes, renew tires and pay ONLY $135 for "an oil changes" (yikes).

Other than changing plugs and filters . . . my days of being a backyard mechanic are past me.

Last edited by expidia; 06-19-2019 at 05:38 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Without this device get ready to put your hands deep in your pockets. My device was written off first year of ownership.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The secondary air system uses an air pump to suck air from airbox and feed that to the engine for cleaner CO2. I assume the secondary air system(or what ever that is called) has a leak or air pump not working properly.
Thanks, Apoelistas
This is something now that I can bring to their attention when I bring it back to them with the same issue now that the plugs have been renewed (and I'm sure along with another $150 bill to hook it back up)

I'll first check the plugs for soot again before I go to them as this could indicate another issue that their computer is not picking up which it should have the first time IMO.

My other alternative is to find a local shop that works on Audi's and show him whats been done so far . . . but I've always found these local guys use a method of just keep replacing parts they suspect and if the issue is not solved you still eat the part and labor. Usually, a good dealer tech can zero in on an issue without replacing unnecessary parts.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Without this device get ready to put your hands deep in your pockets. My device was written off first year of ownership.
I'd probably buy this $300 device once I keep my cars past their warranty period. Thats why I'm upgrading both vehicles to 2019's by the fall.

I'm surprised no one else in the Q5 forum has experienced this type of issue?
Old 06-19-2019, 05:59 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

My '14 allroad has what can best be described as a lumpy idle when first started cold, and settles after a few seconds. it has always done it. Very normal with FSI engines on the fast idle.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
My '14 allroad has what can best be described as a lumpy idle when first started cold, and settles after a few seconds. it has always done it. Very normal with FSI engines on the fast idle.
Ha! Now I can show your quote to my wife to get her of my ***

But strange that it has never done this in her first 3 years of ownership (until a few months ago). And no mention of this by the dealer (who of course Im sure is trying to sell me services).

Last edited by expidia; 06-19-2019 at 06:10 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

One other comment since you mentioned the air pump.
That same appointment I was there as a recall for them to replace what they call a "Buehler (Bueller, Bueller) after run-pump". They had disconnected this after run pump as it was known to cause fires in some Audi's.
Their intial fix last year was to bring it in and they did a software fix.
Then another recall and they just left it unplugged.
It took them a year to redesign this pump and they finally called me to bring it in.

Does anyone think this recall might now be involved in by rough idle start up for a few seconds? They left the pump unplugged for a year which could have caused other issues?
Can I rule out that its not an issue related to their after-run recall

The problem IMO is now if this recall is involved with my issue, they will never admit to that!

Another thought is: From what I'm getting from the various comments and what they put on their work order is this vehicle is now 5 years old going on 6 years. From their SEC (air system and air the air pump) comments . . . it might be related to ths 6 year old engine might just be developing small air leaks from age.

Of note: this Q5 has only been owned by my Wife for 3 years now and has already had 5-6 recalls! My 2016 BMW has had none. This has gotta tell you something about Audi's quality control!

Last edited by expidia; 06-19-2019 at 06:42 AM.

Quick Reply: 2014 Q5 28k stumbles first 30 sec when cold?