AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/)
-   -   2014 Q5 squeaking electronic parking brake (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/2014-q5-squeaking-electronic-parking-brake-2971272/)

KlausG 04-27-2019 07:00 AM

2014 Q5 squeaking electronic parking brake

Hi All

I have a very irritating squeaking electronic parking brake when engaging. This is a very loud squeak when activating and can be heard

inside the car with all the windows closed. This is on the left rear brake only. I have removed the caliber with the electric motor/gearbox but cannot see any obvious wear or tear.

Any help on this would be great.
Cheers

MurrayA4 04-27-2019 02:56 PM

If it was mine I'd remove the motor from the caliper and spray some decent lube onto the shaft that comes out of the motor assembly.Be real generous.Chances are you've got some dirt/corrosion in there and this could do away with your issue.

Moonlightblue 04-27-2019 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by KlausG (Post 25308827)
Hi All

I have a very irritating squeaking electronic parking brake when engaging. This is a very loud squeak when activating and can be heard

inside the car with all the windows closed. This is on the left rear brake only. I have removed the caliber with the electric motor/gearbox but cannot see any obvious wear or tear.

Any help on this would be great.
Cheers

I have that too. Have had it since not long after I bought the 2+ year old car with 29k miles on it. Always believed it was normal.

KlausG 04-27-2019 11:33 PM

Hi MurrayA4

I have done this with no change to the squeaking.
My plan is as follows:
Remove the caliper with the motor assembly. Then machine a piece of wood with the correct thickness and place between the piston and
the end stop. Activate the park brake.
This way I can then determine if the noise is from the motor drive or the brake pads being exposed to the very large clamping forces.

Watch this space...

KlausG 05-15-2019 04:09 AM

Hi

Update:

Removed caliper.
Inserted wooden block to act as pads and rotor for spacing. Engaged park brake and still squeaking noise.
Removed electric motor and sprayed heavily with ACF50 and let the lube run into the gears of the gearbox assembly of the electric motor.
After retracting the brake piston via VCDS software the squeaking was gone.
Put everything back into place and no squeaking for a few weeks.
The squeaking has however slowly started become audible again over time.
I can only think the belt drive inside the electric motor assembly is the culprit.
Looking at replacing this component in the near future.

MurrayA4 05-15-2019 01:38 PM

There's a "drive belt" in there ? I give up there !

KlausG 05-15-2019 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All

Here is a useful bit of info....

MurrayA4 05-16-2019 01:05 PM

KlausG thank you.All I can say is oh my god ! Fortunately mine has been fine, use it every time I park.Generally I'm a fan of EPBrakes Up here in Canada cables freezing and rotting are a pain.But a toothed drive belt in the motor assembly kind of scares me.I just checked and ECS have a replacement (obviously sourced from a certain Oriental country) for 50 bucks so no big deal.

Oldschooled 12-04-2019 01:10 PM

Greetings,

I am a newbie here and have the exact same problem with my 2014 A4 Quattro. Does anyone know what was the root cause to the squeaky E-Brake issue?

Thank you in advance!

Craigpat1 01-02-2020 12:29 PM

Hi all, I have had this problem develop in my A7 over the last few months. Had the car serviced yesterday at the authorised dealer here in Brisbane Australia and asked that this be fixed, thinking it would be a minor job. They told me the only way to fix it is to replace the entire rear calipers, easy! ! They did say that the brake is not compromised at all, it's just a bit annoying.