Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2014 Q5 TDI....

Old 01-27-2013, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2014 Q5 TDI....

Don't know about anybody else on this forum, but I am pretty stoked about getting one of these this Fall. Love my 2.0T but the TDI technology has always interested me. The VW offerings are mostly too small, as is the A3 for my needs, and the Touareg and Q7 are larger than I need.

It's certainly compelling enough for me to seriously considering trading. Anybody else?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been waiting a year for the TDIs to be released here. There's really no competition for the TDI Q5 in the US as far as I can tell (though I suppose the GLK is getting a diesel next year, too, so that might count); not that it's hard when there's so few diesels here that aren't huge trucks. At least that seems like it should be changing over the next several years or so. I would've loved seeing the TDI SQ5 showing up on these shores, but oh well.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The Q5 TDI should do well, but I expect the GLK to steal a little of Audi's thunder when it's released sometime later this year. With 369 lb-ft of torque on tap from just 2.1 liters, the GLK should move out nicely. It won't offer the performance of the Q5, but it should get significantly better mileage, and it's expected to undercut the GLK350's $37k base price. Sounds like a pretty compelling package. If it sells well, and I think it will, might it force Audi to reconsider the 2.0 TDI for the US market?
Old 01-27-2013, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Maybe, if it is re-styled. I considered a GLK before buying the Q. I had a CLK 350 and liked that vehicle...a lot. But rear wheel drive was a killer, especially with those Summer performance tires, in any really cold weather and a skiff of snow. Nice car, though, otherwise. GLK seemed over priced and thirsty with that 350 vs. the 2.0 Q5.
I'm thinking the 3.0 TDI and the 8 speed tranny should return really good mileage numbers in the Q5.....maybe close to 40 on the highway.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by soonerfan
GLK seemed over priced and thirsty with that 350 vs. the 2.0 Q5.
Shows worse than the 3.0T Q5, too (18/26). Being based on the C-class wouldn't inspire me with too much confidence, either.

I'm thinking the 3.0 TDI and the 8 speed tranny should return really good mileage numbers in the Q5.....maybe close to 40 on the highway.
The A8's been rated 24/36 and the Q5 should come in a couple MPG less on the highway, I would think. In realistic highway travel taking into account how TDIs usually are rated lower and how VAG usually sets their estimates on the low side anyway... it's possible, at least.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

With the 3.0 TDI likely costing a few thousand dollars more than the 3.0T and with diesel fuel selling for $.20 to $.40 per gallon more than gasoline in my area, it's really hard to justify the purchase of a diesel engine even with better mpg estimates. The breakeven from fuel savings could take several years, if ever. Then there's the oily and smelly fuel pumps and the scarcity of diesel stations (although this has improved)... I guess the major benefit would be performance.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 123Audi4me
With the 3.0 TDI likely costing a few thousand dollars more than the 3.0T and with diesel fuel selling for $.20 to $.40 per gallon more than gasoline in my area, it's really hard to justify the purchase of a diesel engine even with better mpg estimates. The breakeven from fuel savings could take several years, if ever. Then there's the oily and smelly fuel pumps and the scarcity of diesel stations (although this has improved)... I guess the major benefit would be performance.
Pricing hasn't been released, so it's anyone's guess exactly how much the TDIs will go for. But if you're looking to pay the least overall for a Q5, go for a 2.0T. Compared to the 3.0T, Audi would have to price the TDI rather high in order for it to not be capable of breaking even over the course of a couple of years (for my driving and with the cost of diesel vs. premium here, I'd be saving about $50/mo in fuel costs).

You get increased performance down low (at a cost of the top end), and increased mileage therefore increased range (I could drive from Austin to Lubbock and around town there on a single tank as opposed to currently having to fill up before I get there). Diesel is available at almost every single station I've seen, but of course Texas has a lot of large pickups so it's hard to necessarily talk about other states. As for "smelly pumps", in my experience the petrol pumps smell worse (possibly the ethanol mix or something), but that's subjective and I don't mind the smell of diesel.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by idale
Shows worse than the 3.0T Q5, too (18/26). Being based on the C-class wouldn't inspire me with too much confidence, either.

The A8's been rated 24/36 and the Q5 should come in a couple MPG less on the highway, I would think. In realistic highway travel taking into account how TDIs usually are rated lower and how VAG usually sets their estimates on the low side anyway... it's possible, at least.
Hmmm. I was thinking the A8 was quite a bit heavier than the Q5, but have just discovered they are reasonably close. I'd say you are spot-on.....
Old 01-28-2013, 05:56 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Add me to the list of those very, very interested indeed. I can't wait to see the specs/test drive a unit. However, in the back of my mind I'm also considering waiting for the redesign (in 2015 is it?) to avoid buyer's remorse.

Regardless, can't wait for the TDI!

-tgt
Old 01-28-2013, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by soonerfan
Hmmm. I was thinking the A8 was quite a bit heavier than the Q5, but have just discovered they are reasonably close. I'd say you are spot-on.....
Nah, the A8's just got a huge footprint. Similar weight, but the Q5 has much higher drag. Both get the 3.0T engine, so you can somewhat make a better comparison based on that (18/28 A8 vs. 18/26 Q5). And to a lesser extent the 2.0T Q5 vs. allroad (20/28 vs. 20/27).

I'm currently guesstimating a 24/32 rating, though highway could be 33-34. Then with the usual VAG conservativism in their EPA ratings, you should be able to easily get at least few extra MPG. I doubt I'll see 40mpg ever with my driving style, but 35-37 shouldn't be too out of the question, I wouldn't think, depending on where AoA sets the EPA rating for the Q5.

Originally Posted by tgt
However, in the back of my mind I'm also considering waiting for the redesign (in 2015 is it?) to avoid buyer's remorse.
MY 2016, so fall 2015. At least, that's the current expectation (and MY 2016 coincides with the opening of the Puebla plant, which will be making the next-gen Q5s for the NA market).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Q5 TDI....