Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2014 Q5 TDI....

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by idale
Pricing hasn't been released, so it's anyone's guess exactly how much the TDIs will go for. But if you're looking to pay the least overall for a Q5, go for a 2.0T. Compared to the 3.0T, Audi would have to price the TDI rather high in order for it to not be capable of breaking even over the course of a couple of years (for my driving and with the cost of diesel vs. premium here, I'd be saving about $50/mo in fuel costs).

You get increased performance down low (at a cost of the top end), and increased mileage therefore increased range (I could drive from Austin to Lubbock and around town there on a single tank as opposed to currently having to fill up before I get there). Diesel is available at almost every single station I've seen, but of course Texas has a lot of large pickups so it's hard to necessarily talk about other states. As for "smelly pumps", in my experience the petrol pumps smell worse (possibly the ethanol mix or something), but that's subjective and I don't mind the smell of diesel.
I could be wrong, but I believe the TDI version of the Q7 and the VW Toureg are priced a few thousand more than the gas version. And unfortunately in my part of California, diesel fuel is $.20 to $.30 more than premium fuel and $.40 more than midgrade which I use with absolutely no problem in my A4. I do love the idea of a better cruising range with the diesel. This is one reason I chose the 2.0T Q5 over the 3.0T (the increased mpg means 50-100 more miles per tank).
Old 01-28-2013, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 123Audi4me
I could be wrong, but I believe the TDI version of the Q7 and the VW Toureg are priced a few thousand more than the gas version.
$5000, actually, but they also only have the two engines available and are trucks instead of cars, so it's apples and oranges. Hard to tell where AoA will go on the Q5, but it'll have to balance the pricing with the existing engines and price it according to how they want to push the TDI (if they want to make TDI mainstream, they'll need attractive pricing relative to the petrol options to woo customers who might not think fondly of diesel -- they didn't give us the TDI SQ5, after all).

I'm anticipating pricing more like $2000 above the 3.0T, which would at least be around $5500 over 2.0T pricing. They could certainly ask more, but I would be shocked if they went as far as the $5000 in the Q7 and Touareg (given the SUV marketing, diesel has more draw there than in the sedan and crossover markets, at least currently).

And unfortunately in my part of California, diesel fuel is $.20 to $.30 more than premium fuel and $.40 more than midgrade which I use with absolutely no problem in my A4.
Diesel's about the same here, effectively a pricing tier above premium. If diesel were a tier under regular like it used to be, it'd be a slam dunk.

I suppose I should've qualified the $50/mo comment with that's the difference between the 3.0T (which would cost about what my Odyssey does now) and my estimates for the TDI. The payoff length for the TDI at an estimated $2000 premium over 3.0T compared to the 2.0T based on fuel consumption worked out to something like 20 years. (Compared to 3.0T it would "pay for itself" on a more reasonable scale, but most efficient options won't truly pay for themselves and it's more about what you get day-to-day with that option. And of course if your only concern is mileage then you should look at a tiny car instead.)

I do love the idea of a better cruising range with the diesel. This is one reason I chose the 2.0T Q5 over the 3.0T (the increased mpg means 50-100 more miles per tank).
One reason my wife loves her TDI Golf is not having to fill up for about two weeks (instead of every week). She'd be hard-pressed to give that up. (That and the torque even on her little 1.9L.)

Last edited by idale; 01-28-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm anticipating pricing more like $2000 above the 3.0T, which would at least be around $5500 over 2.0T pricing. They could certainly ask more, but I would be shocked if they went as far as the $5000 in the Q7 and Touareg (given the SUV marketing, diesel has more draw there than in the sedan and crossover markets, at least currently).
I think the TDI will be $3k+ more than the 3.0T. BTW, the 3.0T is only about $2500 more expensive than a similarly equipped 2.0T (3.0T includes the advanced key and 19" wheels).

V
Old 01-28-2013, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vulture007
I think the TDI will be $3k+ more than the 3.0T. BTW, the 3.0T is only about $2500 more expensive than a similarly equipped 2.0T (3.0T includes the advanced key and 19" wheels).

V
Can you provide the prices for the similarly equiped 2.0 and 3.0?
Old 01-28-2013, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Loafer123
Can you provide the prices for the similarly equiped 2.0 and 3.0?
I can only point you at Audi.ca. Play with the configurable and you'll see that the is no 3.0T equivalent to the base 2.0T ... instead you get the Premium+, which means $2500 difference with the 2.0T Premium+
Old 01-28-2013, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Diesel's about the same here, effectively a pricing tier above premium. If diesel were a tier under regular like it used to be, it'd be a slam dunk.

I suppose I should've qualified the $50/mo comment with that's the difference between the 3.0T (which would cost about what my Odyssey does now) and my estimates for the TDI. The payoff length for the TDI at an estimated $2000 premium over 3.0T compared to the 2.0T based on fuel consumption worked out to something like 20 years. (Compared to 3.0T it would "pay for itself" on a more reasonable scale, but most efficient options won't truly pay for themselves and it's more about what you get day-to-day with that option. And of course if your only concern is mileage then you should look at a tiny car instead.)
I agree, if diesel prices were like they were years ago, I would have waited for the TDI Q5. I filled up in Reno, NV today and checked diesel prices. Diesel was $.34/gal more than premium gas and $.44/gal more than mid-grade gas. That really takes away from the diesel advantage for me, unfortunately. California is similar or worse. Then add the additional cost for the TDI engine and it really doesn't make much sense. The "mpg" factor isn't such a big deal for me, but the miles per tank is. So I hope the 2.0T does well in that regard. It should...
Old 01-28-2013, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Depending on a variety of factors affecting diesel prices, the fuel savings may or may not cover the additional cost of the TDI upgrade. But there are other factors to consider, too, such as range, towing capacity and resale value. The diesel should have a decided advantage in all three categories.

Last edited by HotRodW; 01-28-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rarewolf
I can only point you at Audi.ca. Play with the configurable and you'll see that the is no 3.0T equivalent to the base 2.0T ... instead you get the Premium+, which means $2500 difference with the 2.0T Premium+
Prices from edmunds.com, both include destination fee:

2.0T, P+, Advanced key, 19" double spoke wheels - MSRP 42445
3.0T, (has P+, 19" double spoke wheels and advanced key) - MSRP 44795

difference is $2350, even better than what I quoted earlier. It's a no brainer for anyone who is performance oriented.

V
Old 01-29-2013, 05:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Jeep is going to charge $4500 for the 2014 Grand Cherokee diesel, I'm guessing that the Q5 TDI will have a similar charge
Old 01-29-2013, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 123Audi4me
I agree, if diesel prices were like they were years ago, I would have waited for the TDI Q5. I filled up in Reno, NV today and checked diesel prices. Diesel was $.34/gal more than premium gas and $.44/gal more than mid-grade gas. That really takes away from the diesel advantage for me, unfortunately. California is similar or worse. Then add the additional cost for the TDI engine and it really doesn't make much sense. The "mpg" factor isn't such a big deal for me, but the miles per tank is. So I hope the 2.0T does well in that regard. It should...
Originally Posted by HotRodW
Depending on a variety of factors affecting diesel prices, the fuel savings may or may not cover the additional cost of the TDI upgrade. But there are other factors to consider, too, such as range, towing capacity and resale value. The diesel should have a decided advantage in all three categories.
No one buys a diesel to save money. You get awesome range out of a tank and tons of low end grunt which is amazing on a highway. No downshifting at all.

in the winter, diesel can be more expensive than premium. In the summer, diesel is closer to midgrade. Keep in mind, we're talking about an Audi so one should compare premium fuel to diesel and not regular.

Quick Reply: 2014 Q5 TDI....