Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 08-09-2016, 10:34 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

2014 Q5 TDI H&R spiring installation (before and after)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 03:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by apohis
Seems like they have it now over at Achtuning. Would love a set

http://achtuning.com/new-products/hr...-for-audi-sq5/
The drops indicated by Achtuning seem off though. Maybe they're referencing the drop from the European SQ5? They would have to be different springs though for the US spec SQ5 as the weights are different.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the H&R springs installed, did it affect the steering wheel on/off axis positioning?
Old 03-02-2014, 05:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The technicians definitely did an alignment after install. In fact, the repetitively ran it on a dyno and loosened and tightened the bushing bolts until they were satisfied minimal load was being placed on the bushings. When done, recheck to make sure alignment still in spec.

(BTW, if you're in Tampa, I definitely recommend the guys at Cars and Concepts for BMW, Audi, Porsche and VW: http://carsandconcepts.com)

Further thoughts about the drop:
- Very happy with the appearance. It's the perfect drop to make the wheel gap isotropic.
- on Comfort mode drive select, the car feels a little stiffer, especially on turns. However it still rides over RR crossings and minor potholes easily.
- on Dynamic mode, I can't say I notice a difference. Maybe the dampening was already so much that the springs didn't play into it too much. Or at least the difference between stock springs and H&R is insignificant
- I can't say anything about the wear on the stock shocks. I guess I'm just hoping...
- After 4 drives, I'm already adjusted to the difference sight picture. So that difference is already a non-issue.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jubz
With the H&R springs installed, did it affect the steering wheel on/off axis positioning?
I'm not really sure what that means. Can you explain?
Old 03-02-2014, 08:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by amstrad
I'm not really sure what that means. Can you explain?
After the drop, is the steering wheel still square/level with the front wheels pointed forward?

It's been a very long time since I dropped a car, which the mechanical steering linkages were sometimes affected and the steering wheel turned off axis.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So just sport spring doesn't involve any complications with dampening suspension / electric related matters?

Sorry for a newb question
Old 03-03-2014, 04:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

After the drop, is the steering wheel still square/level with the front wheels pointed forward?

It's been a very long time since I dropped a car, which the mechanical steering linkages were sometimes affected and the steering wheel turned off axis.
Yes everything appears nice and square. No significant effect to the powered steering either.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hanyc42
So just sport spring doesn't involve any complications with dampening suspension / electric related matters?
It was a straight spring replacement. None of the electronics were modified. I don't think the dampers care what the underlying spring rates are and no codes were thrown.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by amstrad
It was a straight spring replacement. None of the electronics were modified. I don't think the dampers care what the underlying spring rates are and no codes were thrown.
Thank you for the answer!
Just got my car a few days ago and I am definitely considering these springs.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

amstrad, thanks for letting us know about these springs; now on my to do list.

Anyone know approximately how much a shop charges to have these 4 springs installed?

Quick Reply: 2014 Q5 TDI H&R spiring installation (before and after)