Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2014 Q5 TDI post fix issues O2 Sensor check engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have made a deposit on a 2014 A8 TDI. Good news is the extended Emissions warranty Is a bonus. When reading this thread, makes me wonder if The car will be in the shop all the time.
Have Audi been fixing these issues with minimal questions asked?
Has the DEF consumption increased since the fix?
Has the fuel mileage gotten worse?
The extended warranty covers many of the components including turbos. Makes me think I will not bother with the other warranty.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Perky
I have made a deposit on a 2014 A8 TDI. Good news is the extended Emissions warranty Is a bonus. When reading this thread, makes me wonder if The car will be in the shop all the time.
Have Audi been fixing these issues with minimal questions asked?
Has the DEF consumption increased since the fix?
Has the fuel mileage gotten worse?
The extended warranty covers many of the components including turbos. Makes me think I will not bother with the other warranty.
yes
no
yes, between 5-10 percent worse in most cases, depends on your driving conditions and style
good idea
Old 05-01-2019, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeRJGR1
Dennis,

Thanks for the quick reply. The dealer just called me and said they took it to an Audi shop and this time they replaced an exhaust sensor. Think they are referring to the NOX sensor that was replaced on your vehicle? They want $18,000 for the Q5, which has $54,000 miles on it. I think that is pretty good, but its a lemon law by back so it should be cheap....thoughts?

I notice you have tow hitch on yours? I know the rating on the 2.0 T is 4500 lbs, and so is the 3.0 TDI. I cant believe thats' true...the TDI has to be able to pull better than the 2.0T. Have you towed with it?

Finally question. Interestingly enough, the only other vehicle I am considering right now is a Grand Cherokee and I notice you have one of those too....How do you like it? My current job is up in the air and I'm not sure if I'll have a long commute in the future, that's why I though the TDI would be a great compromise.

Sorry for all the questions...thanks for your help...I bought an A4 when they first came out in the late 80's...drove it till almost 200,000 miles before trading it in on a Mercedes CLK...I still miss that car!

Thanks again!
I might look for a different TDI without the history you describe.

As to towing, the engine can certainly pull more but the rating is based on other factors too.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mythdoc
I might look for a different TDI without the history you describe.

As to towing, the engine can certainly pull more but the rating is based on other factors too.
Thanks for the reply....I have looked around a bit...seems like $18K for that car is about $7,000 below average in this area...but I agree it would be way better without the history...alos agree about the towing...in my case I only need it to tow a 4500 lb boat and trailer about 1 mile twice a year...
Old 05-01-2019, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeRJGR1
Dennis,

Thanks for the quick reply. The dealer just called me and said they took it to an Audi shop and this time they replaced an exhaust sensor. Think they are referring to the NOX sensor that was replaced on your vehicle? They want $18,000 for the Q5, which has $54,000 miles on it. I think that is pretty good, but its a lemon law by back so it should be cheap....thoughts?

I notice you have tow hitch on yours? I know the rating on the 2.0 T is 4500 lbs, and so is the 3.0 TDI. I cant believe thats' true...the TDI has to be able to pull better than the 2.0T. Have you towed with it?

Finally question. Interestingly enough, the only other vehicle I am considering right now is a Grand Cherokee and I notice you have one of those too....How do you like it? My current job is up in the air and I'm not sure if I'll have a long commute in the future, that's why I though the TDI would be a great compromise.

Sorry for all the questions...thanks for your help...I bought an A4 when they first came out in the late 80's...drove it till almost 200,000 miles before trading it in on a Mercedes CLK...I still miss that car!

Thanks again!
As long as there are no other problems and you get the extended emissions warranty I would have no problem with the purchase. Can you get the CPO warranty on the vehicle? That would give you 12 more months of assurance. I never towed with the Q5 TDI, just wanted the option in case.

Traded in my Audi S3 for something more practical. Decided to go Jeep Grand Cherokee with air suspension. Wanted something larger than Q5 for hauling. Wish it had the diesel, but I didn't want to spend an extra $5,000. Miss the torque of the Q5. When going up hills it is downshifting like crazy. None of that with the Q5 TDI.

Bottom line the Audi V6 TDI is a special vehicle.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had to go to the dealer 2-3x already post tdi fix.

Didnt even think of the lemon law.

if it happens again I will look into it in more detail.

I still love the car, i'm at 78k miles and no other issues other than O2 sensors going bad post fix.

Hoping to drive it another 30-40k. Hoping for some good electric trucks to come out in the next few years.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default CODE PO1E3 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor 3 Circuit

How many Coolant Temp sensors are there in the Q5? Where are they located. My best guess is two, one in the front and the other in the back. I had the one in the front changed but need to change the one in the back to remove engine light from coming on.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Had my O2 sensor replaced at 45,000, CEL was intermittent for about a week before I got to my dealer... sounds all too common. My SA told me to drive it more “spirited” to extend the life of the sensor.

Is there any evidence of that? I typically shift at fairly low RPM, 2,200-2,500...occasionally at 3-3,500. Am I babying my TDI?
Old 05-05-2019, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 874 Likes on 715 Posts

The excuses for the reported post fix issues are interesting.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

makes me the think they really don't have a permanent t fix yet...

Quick Reply: 2014 Q5 TDI post fix issues O2 Sensor check engine