Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2015 Audi Q5 QUATTRO OIL CONSUMPTION

Old 02-02-2019, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2015 Audi Q5 QUATTRO OIL CONSUMPTION

Bought a 2015 Audi q5 Quattro (premium) 2.0t, back on November 20, 2018, with 87k mileage. After purchasing I got an oil change, making sure everything is set right. Few days after maybe 3, I got a low oil light and the oil indicator has reached min, thus saying please add 1 quart of oil, you may continue driving. I went to Audi and they said it was the sensor, so I bought it hoping it would fix the problem. Not even a whole week later the same warning and light come back on, I went back to Audi to have it further investigated. The mechanics weren't able to find out the problem at first so for 2 weeks my car was in and out of the shop being tested on, and within those 2 weeks, I had to get my car topped off 3 times. Finally, another mechanic was sent in from the company and they said it was the timing belt. Which I'm confused to how a timing belt has to do with the oil consumption. We ended up going back to the dealership from where I got the car from to have them check on it and they said it wasn't the timing belt but they also said there was nothing wrong with it.. Now should I try and go back to Audi and have them buy the timing belt and install or will it be a waste of money like the sensor if it doesn't fix my oil problem.. .. Summary: my car gets topped off and 3-4 days later goes back to the minimum line of the oil indicator where the light comes on and needs another top off. Anyone have similar problems with this or is it just me?
The following users liked this post:
Bruck56 (12-09-2021)
Old 02-02-2019, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Any smoke coming out of the exhaust? There should be at the rate of oil consumption, or a puddle under the Q5.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Could also be engine crank seal leak front or rear, oil drain plug leak ... PCV could also need replacing if crank seal is leaking.

If you have fumes from rear exhaust then pistons / piston rings??? Not sure why a 2015 Q5 would have such an issue since pistons and piston rings have been upgraded.
​​​​​​
Not sure how timing chain can cause oil consumption. Did they substantiate this??

Do you have a VCD log?? You definitely need VCDs (Hex V2 enthusiast 3 vin) if you want to check by yourself fault codes with description and possible remedies. You will need this diagnostic, it is a money saver.

Last edited by apoelistas; 02-03-2019 at 03:42 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dylan Andrada
Bought a 2015 Audi q5 Quattro (premium) 2.0t, back on November 20, 2018, with 87k mileage. After purchasing I got an oil change, making sure everything is set right. Few days after maybe 3, I got a low oil light and the oil indicator has reached min, thus saying please add 1 quart of oil, you may continue driving. I went to Audi and they said it was the sensor, so I bought it hoping it would fix the problem. Not even a whole week later the same warning and light come back on, I went back to Audi to have it further investigated. The mechanics weren't able to find out the problem at first so for 2 weeks my car was in and out of the shop being tested on, and within those 2 weeks, I had to get my car topped off 3 times. Finally, another mechanic was sent in from the company and they said it was the timing belt. Which I'm confused to how a timing belt has to do with the oil consumption. We ended up going back to the dealership from where I got the car from to have them check on it and they said it wasn't the timing belt but they also said there was nothing wrong with it.. Now should I try and go back to Audi and have them buy the timing belt and install or will it be a waste of money like the sensor if it doesn't fix my oil problem.. .. Summary: my car gets topped off and 3-4 days later goes back to the minimum line of the oil indicator where the light comes on and needs another top off. Anyone have similar problems with this or is it just me?
What mileage does the factory warranty run out at? surprised to see a 15' with oil consumption issues. how many miles between top ups?
LeftyGrove (11-20-2021)
Old 02-04-2019, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Have 2016 Q5 2.0. Only 25,000 mi. Looses ZERO oil.
LeftyGrove (11-20-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I am having the same problem with my 2015 Q5, did you get any resolve yet?
Mine has 115K on it I was told to change the timing belt, I did the timing belt plus full oil flush and with driving 600 miles the low oil light is back on.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Change PCV valve.
LeftyGrove (11-20-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by gogowireless1
Hi
Mine has 115K on it I was told to change the timing belt, I did the timing belt plus full oil flush and with driving 600 miles the low oil light is back on.
Get a real dip stick to rule out oil level sensor, and to prevent overfilling of oil.

Then come back here if you're still using/losing oil.
LeftyGrove (11-20-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2015 Q5 topping oil off every 900 miles - sell it or fix it?

Originally Posted by gogowireless1
Hi
I am having the same issue w. my 2015 Q5 - has anyone been able to fix w the aforementioned repairs? (timing belt, sensor, etc.). Trying to understand if I trade it in now... only worth $13K on a trade... or keep it on the road w the repairs. This year alone I have spent $2K on engine mount and $3K on steering column ... included other routine maintenance but it has me very concerned I am putting far too much into the vehicle w this new issue w. the oil burning... no puddles, no black exhaust... just needing to top off every 900 miles
LeftyGrove (11-20-2021)
Old 11-20-2021, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Audi Q5 Oil Leak

I have same issue and am tryin to figure it out! Did anyone find a solution here?

86K on Audi and it keeps telling me I can keep driving but need to add another quart of oil, every couple days now. No sign of leak.

Any advice welcome!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Audi Q5 QUATTRO OIL CONSUMPTION