Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Mods and Audi Warrantee

Old 04-19-2015, 11:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods and Audi Warrantee

One thing I want to do is get body roll under control by installing some Eurocode anti-sway bars and their associated control arms.

I have, however, heard of Audi dealerships refusing to do diagnoses, and giving owners hard times getting warrantee work because of modifications. Some of these mods have hell-all to do with the system in question (say, refusal to diagnose under warrantee an oil consumption issue because of sway bars).

Now, I get why they'd be wary of working on cars with mods, and especially when it complicates troubleshooting, or has something directly to do with the system in question (like, chip tuning, and engine issues, for example).

I'm still under warranty for a little bit, but I don't want to void/get warrantee hassles because of my desire for flatter cornering. By the same token, it would be nice to go head with this sooner rather than later.

I'd be interested in opinions from the hive mind here. Anyone fight this battle with the dealership? Or just wait it out?
Old 04-20-2015, 08:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Bump.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Saintsfanatik
Bump.
Suggest u read this thread.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...11-q5-2881950/
Old 04-20-2015, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mods performed will only affect the problems that arise in question.

For example. I had a rear brake blow out issue. Under warranty with factory brakes. However I changed my rotors to aftermarket. So warranty was no good.

My engine blew up. I had it tuned to everything under the sun.
Even though I was having oil consumption issues. No go.

If you put on a rear sway bar, and your engine blows up. Then you still have warranty on your engine. In short.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

If you are in the USA, then the Magnuson-Moss Act would apply and a dealer must show that the non-standard parts/mods were responsible for the failure.

In other words, if you mod the suspension and have suspension problems.... you're on the hook.

If you mod the suspension, and a stereo speaker blows then the warranty must cover the stereo part.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
If you are in the USA, then the Magnuson-Moss Act would apply and a dealer must show that the non-standard parts/mods were responsible for the failure.
This doesn't prevent dealer from refusing to do the repair under warranty. It you that then need to fight in court...
Old 04-21-2015, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't think they'd give you problems for that... I got h&r sport springs installed last week, they eliminate a lot of body roll and bouncing around. At my 35k service a few days later the SA complimented the look.