Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2015 Q5 Audi Connect Carrier?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Q5 Audi Connect Carrier?

I purchased my 2015 Q5 a few months back, and now the Audi Connect free trial is about to expire. I know that Audi started provide AT&T to some new models, but Q5 is still using T-mobile, which is not the best option.

Just wondering if anyone has successfully switched to AT&T on a 2015 Q5 model? and does 3G works? I've seen it works on A6

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...works-2876272/
Old 05-11-2015, 12:52 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MightyOwl
I purchased my 2015 Q5 a few months back, and now the Audi Connect free trial is about to expire. I know that Audi started provide AT&T to some new models, but Q5 is still using T-mobile, which is not the best option.

Just wondering if anyone has successfully switched to AT&T on a 2015 Q5 model? and does 3G works? I've seen it works on A6

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...works-2876272/
Yes it does. Setting the car up on AT&T was a hassle though. Worth it. But still a hassle.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
Yes it does. Setting the car up on AT&T was a hassle though. Worth it. But still a hassle.
So AT&T 3G works too?
I'm using verizon on my phone so also need to figure out what the best AT&T plan is... maybe need to switch my cell over as well

What is the average data usage with Audi Connect and Google Earth? (not including the wifi)
Old 05-11-2015, 01:11 PM
Club AutoUnion

So AT&T 3G works too?
I'm using verizon on my phone so also need to figure out what the best AT&T plan is... maybe need to switch my cell over as well

What is the average data usage with Audi Connect and Google Earth? (not including the wifi)
Yes. The problem lies with the contracts set forth between Audi, T-Mobile and AT&T. The new LTE enabled Audi vehicles come on AT&T's network and the ones prior to this (ie your Q5) came integrated with T-Mobile. Vehicles beyond a certain year can cross over without the 2G restriction. When I went into the AT&T store to switch over my Q to my mobile share plan, they referred me back to Audi to sign up. When I called Audi they said that the only available carrier to me is T-Mobile for my car. I then had to go through a long and tedious process of circumventing AT&T's BS to get a properly sized sim card attached to my mobile share plan.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

If you have an android tablet, best bet is to go to ATT or prepaid Straight Talk and get a card for your tablet. As long as it is a GSM 3G or better plan, you will get your service. You can share it between the tablet and your Audi by popping it in and out. There are plenty of people on the AudiWorld forums that have done this.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
Yes. The problem lies with the contracts set forth between Audi, T-Mobile and AT&T. The new LTE enabled Audi vehicles come on AT&T's network and the ones prior to this (ie your Q5) came integrated with T-Mobile. Vehicles beyond a certain year can cross over without the 2G restriction. When I went into the AT&T store to switch over my Q to my mobile share plan, they referred me back to Audi to sign up. When I called Audi they said that the only available carrier to me is T-Mobile for my car. I then had to go through a long and tedious process of circumventing AT&T's BS to get a properly sized sim card attached to my mobile share plan.

Thanks for the detailed answer! As long as I can get 3G I'm in.

Also what is the monthly data usage we are looking at?
Old 05-11-2015, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
If you have an android tablet, best bet is to go to ATT or prepaid Straight Talk and get a card for your tablet. As long as it is a GSM 3G or better plan, you will get your service. You can share it between the tablet and your Audi by popping it in and out. There are plenty of people on the AudiWorld forums that have done this.

I only have an iPad mini and i don't think they share the same type of sim...

As DennisMitchell mentioned it might be a long process to get a card for my Q5, but for the sake of AT&T's 3G coverage, I'm willing to do whatever it takes
Old 05-11-2015, 02:15 PM
Club AutoUnion

Also what is the monthly data usage we are looking at?
Minimal.

I only have an iPad mini and i don't think they share the same type of sim...

As DennisMitchell mentioned it might be a long process to get a card for my Q5, but for the sake of AT&T's 3G coverage, I'm willing to do whatever it takes
Using an iPad to get a sim for your car was exactly what I was alluding to. I just purchased a correct sized sim card at the AT&T store and went home and activated it on the phone with the AT&T rep. When you give the phone rep the sim card number over the phone they cant tell what size it is based on its number. The store rep would have just fouled things up. Only downside is because I was essentially just asking for a sim card without activating it in the store I had to pay like 20 bucks for it.

Last edited by Mrclopec; 05-11-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I don't have any personal experience, BUT, I was reading some other threads about buying "off brand" data cards as cheaply as $10 for 5gb of data that are good for 2 months before expiring. How much you'll typically use could be Googled, I imagine. But if you're using minimal versus being a "power user", these discount cards may work well for you. Many are 3g but a few are 4g. Good luck.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:44 PM
Club AutoUnion

I just look at my AT&T account and in one month my Audi used between 250 and 500mb. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: 2015 Q5 Audi Connect Carrier?