AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/)
-   -   2015 Q5 TDI 5,500 miles...Glow Plug light flashing.. (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/2015-q5-tdi-5-500-miles-glow-plug-light-flashing-2889838/)

SJGQ5 09-30-2015 11:35 AM

2015 Q5 TDI 5,500 miles...Glow Plug light flashing..

Driving to work this morning I noticed a weird dash light flashing..It turns out it is the glow plug indicator...Was in stop and go traffic..so moving slow..when traffic picked up I had no power..the so called 'limp mode'

Called the closest Audi dealer (not the one I bought from) and explained the issue..They said it is likely nothing to worry about as it could be a 'glitch' or be due to the DPF cleaning process...no need to bring it in unless it happens again..

Wasn't real impressed with that answer so called the other local Audi dealer..the onei bought from..and basically got the same answer..

Seems like an odd answer from the dealer..Anybody else on a newer TDI have this warning light activate? I read on the 'net that earlier models had fuel pump problems that throw this error but that issue has supposedly been resolved.

Also read some had the issue and 'bad fuel' was the diagnosis..I am at half tank..from Costco..a very high volume place..so pretty confident I have good fuel..

SteveDu 09-30-2015 12:19 PM

Umm it could be many things. I suggest you take it into the dealer next time it happens. Remember don't turn the car off! The dealer can run a scan and tell you exactly what the problem was.

I had it happened to me multiple times on my 14 TDI. It took a few times until I was close by the dealer to drive there and have them read the code without shutting the card down.

I posted my experience here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...light-2881491/

Turns out the pump had some issues and was replaced over the weekend. So far? Never happened again.

Good luck man!

DennisMitchell 09-30-2015 01:09 PM

Yes, good chance your HPFP is failing. I had mine replaced at 11,000 mi. The HPFP is the weak link in the TDI.

rbradleysd 09-30-2015 01:27 PM

My 13 Golf had a bad glow plug within the first 5000 miles. They fixed it and that was the end of it. Costco Diesel (I get it as well) is good quality so I doubt it's bad fuel

Coolieman1220 10-01-2015 08:44 AM

I had mine do the same a few times. Hope my HPFP isn't on it's way out....

Typically I've seen it done in a scenario when start/stop is active and the car shuts off but I had to move again quickly and started it up right away.

RSCliff 08-11-2022 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by SJGQ5 (Post 24728869)
Driving to work this morning I noticed a weird dash light flashing..It turns out it is the glow plug indicator...Was in stop and go traffic..so moving slow..when traffic picked up I had no power..the so called 'limp mode'

Called the closest Audi dealer (not the one I bought from) and explained the issue..They said it is likely nothing to worry about as it could be a 'glitch' or be due to the DPF cleaning process...no need to bring it in unless it happens again..

Wasn't real impressed with that answer so called the other local Audi dealer..the onei bought from..and basically got the same answer..

Seems like an odd answer from the dealer..Anybody else on a newer TDI have this warning light activate? I read on the 'net that earlier models had fuel pump problems that throw this error but that issue has supposedly been resolved.

Also read some had the issue and 'bad fuel' was the diagnosis..I am at half tank..from Costco..a very high volume place..so pretty confident I have good fuel..

This has happened to me a couple of times in my SQ5 TDI. Slow down. Stop safely. Switch off for about 30 secs. Resume your journey. It's nothing to worry about, it's just your Audi taking care of itself.

KevinGary 08-11-2022 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by RSCliff (Post 25736725)
This has happened to me a couple of times in my SQ5 TDI. Slow down. Stop safely. Switch off for about 30 secs. Resume your journey. It's nothing to worry about, it's just your Audi taking care of itself.

its a seven year old post and he sold the car years ago. :D