Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 08:48 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

2015 SQ5 vs 2016 SQ5 (worth the wait?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 06:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We opted for the 2015 SQ5 knowing the new body's won't be released for a minimum of 2-3 years. Get it and enjoy it!
Old 08-06-2014, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

I work with production and large manufacturing facilities in Mexico all of the time. There are huge complexities as is with "new" factories; but the biggest is cultural/sociological. I think it will be very very difficult for the Germans to go to Mexico and establish the precision culture right away. In years of trying, it has always taken our electronics manufacturing years for them to get it partially right. Auto manufacturing turns up the complexity significantly. Just making demands to do it a certain way does not work. I think that is why you saw such poor quality with VWs, and Fords made in Mexico. All which have had MAJOR issues and honestly continue to have problems to this day.
For me, the Audi cars can have its issues as is, no way do I want to add to that with the production in Mexico.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rendart
1) New models usually but not always have teething problems which might affect the first batch (which I would definitely purchase from cause I don't have the patience to wait for the 2017 models)

2) The batches of cars coming out of the new factory in Mexico are untested by the masses, not as though an average joe like me would be able to tell any differences in build quality, but it would still bother me if the 2015 line was superior in anyway and I waited for nothing.

3) The 2015 batch is the last release of the old model, but its the most tested and refined version that should have the least issues because of the number of years in production.
Not an SQ5, but I just placed an order for a 2015 Q5, which I have been lusting after for some time. I considered waiting for the second gen coming in 2016, but when I realized that would be the first production model from Mexico, along with the other reasons your friend noted above, I pulled the trigger now on a 2015. I like knowing that my 2015 will be produced in Germany, and that I will have the last model year of the German-produced Q5's for the NA market.

Good luck with your purchase!
Old 08-06-2014, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

How long has the next gen Q7 been delayed? I'm not holding my breath waiting for the next gen Q5.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All three of those are valid reasons...here's another.
My previous vehicle is a 2004 Toyota 4Runner. It's the fully loaded, V8, AWD, Limited Edition with the Lexus drivetrain. I was planning to get another one but I waited too long. The new ones are hideous and anemic. I kept the old one because I haven't had ANY trouble with it in 200K miles, but I would not consider buying the new one.
Oh yeah...I wanted a German automobile...not a Mexican ride.

Last edited by SQive; 08-06-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Anything new on next gen Q5?

Hi all....I haven't been on here in a while but was glad to find this string.

Is there any update to the delivery date for the next gen Q5, or any change to the plan for it to be built in Mexico?

I need to decide what to do with my '13 3.0T that's coming up on 2 years old and 6,000 miles (seriously). Keep it 2-3 years longer to get past at least the first year build in Mexico? Sell/trade now while the value on mine is good to roll the equity into a new Q5 or find something else (I've had 3 BMW's). Might be fun to start looking around!

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by S4forDC
Hi all....I haven't been on here in a while but was glad to find this string.

Is there any update to the delivery date for the next gen Q5, or any change to the plan for it to be built in Mexico?

I need to decide what to do with my '13 3.0T that's coming up on 2 years old and 6,000 miles (seriously). Keep it 2-3 years longer to get past at least the first year build in Mexico? Sell/trade now while the value on mine is good to roll the equity into a new Q5 or find something else (I've had 3 BMW's). Might be fun to start looking around!

Thanks in advance for your input.
Haven't seen any change, personally, so it's still looking like it's likely late 2016 as a MY2017. And they've been planning (and building) the Puebla facility for a while now, so it's 100% going to be built in Mexico. Curse the popularity over here.

As for what to do with yours, it all depends on you and what you're looking for. Seems like you don't drive it much and you've already got a facelift, so seems like it'd be worth holding onto unless you really wanted an S or TDI (something that wasn't available until 2014).
Old 08-28-2014, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree with @idale. Since it seems as if you don't drive much and your car is likely in great condition unless you moved into the sq5 or TDI (which I have) it might not be worth changing. Clearly a lot if fear on what happens when things move to the Mexico plant.

Personally, The TDI is amazing and was my go to choice after comparing the 2.0 and TDI. I never considerd the other models (hybrid, 3.0, sq5). Although the sq5 sounds amazing or the S package the TDI with premium plus and a few additional features easily met my needs.

The TDI miles especially in the highway us unreal. It is great around town as well but since the highway is up toward 38mpg it makes me forget how good 25mpg in town us etc....

Only fear with 2014 TDI is it is a first year in the Q5 bit seeks tested enough across other us audis and in Europe!

Originally Posted by idale
Haven't seen any change, personally, so it's still looking like it's likely late 2016 as a MY2017. And they've been planning (and building) the Puebla facility for a while now, so it's 100% going to be built in Mexico. Curse the popularity over here.

As for what to do with yours, it all depends on you and what you're looking for. Seems like you don't drive it much and you've already got a facelift, so seems like it'd be worth holding onto unless you really wanted an S or TDI (something that wasn't available until 2014).
Old 08-28-2014, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Trade it in on a MY15 SQ5.
You won't be disappointed.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by imdakine1
Only fear with 2014 TDI is it is a first year in the Q5 bit seeks tested enough across other us audis and in Europe!
It's our first year with it, and I think this revision (engine code) is fairly recent, but the 3.0 TDI is available in most models overseas and has been available for I believe at least 5 years (and the TDI technology is well-proven). So no concerns at all.

Just wish we got the twin-turbo version that's available in the SQ5 over there (along with the A6), but then again that would've tempted me too much so maybe it's best we "only" have the single-turbo.

Quick Reply: 2015 SQ5 vs 2016 SQ5 (worth the wait?)