Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2016 Q5 Steering and brake issues

Old 06-12-2017, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Q5 Steering and brake issues

I bought my 2016 Q5 2.0T two years ago. It's mostly used on the weekends and has less than 4,000 miles on it. In the last 3-4 months it has developed some steering and brake problems that have gotten me concerned:

1. The steering make a strange wheezing/ squeaking sound when I turn them significantly backing out after it is parked for days. The sound goes away after 15-20 minutes of driving. Dealer lubricated the steering shaft, but the problem came back the next day.

2. The brakes have never been smooth. Took it to the dealer 15 days ago who for some reason changed the brake pads. Now the new brake pads squeak anytime I am driving slow and apply brakes while rolling. I had never heard of new brake pads squeaking on a $50K+ car. Also quite unhappy that dealer changed brake pads without any apparent reason, and introduced the squeak problem.

3. Brake makes slight click when I switch my foot to brake from pedal. This has been going on for almost 4 months. Brake pad change didn't make any difference to this.

Has anyone experienced these problems before? Any guidance on what may be going on? As described above my experience with the dealer's service hasn't been positive, so trying to see how others have resolved similar problem before taking it for servicing again.

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2017, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

1. The steering sqeak has been discussed on this forum many times, usually the dealer lubricates the steering, but the squeak returns.

2. There is a TSB out for yor vehicle if the brakes are not performing correctly, so the dealer applied it. Most likely your rotors are rusting if you don't drive it daily, thus causing the rough sensation. Go for a long country ride where you can apply the brakes at will. You need to break in the pads. Do about 5 very quick stops from 50 mph, to 0, don't lock up the brakes. Drive a mile or so between stops to cool the rotors. New brake pads can sqeak on a $10 clunker or a $250K exotic, you need to break in the pads correctly.

3. The brake pedal clicking seems to be normal according to recent discussions on this forum.

You need to learn to use the forum search function and all you questions would have have been answered.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you Bob.

I took the vehicle to the dealer again today. They were able to reproduce the steering as well as brake squeaks. They asked me if I am willing to replace the steering shaft. Being an automobile mechanics novice, I would appreciate any guidance on whether replacing the shaft is too drastic/ good idea? My main worry is to avoid new/ more major issues getting introduced due to this.

They are also replace the brake pad and rotor (one month after they replaced it previously). Keeping my fingers crossed for this one.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Neils If it was me I'd go for it.Replacing the steering column isn't the end of the world unless you're paying for it ! New brakes - always good unless they sneak in some crap but if you're warrantied that won't happen.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
Neils If it was me I'd go for it.Replacing the steering column isn't the end of the world unless you're paying for it ! New brakes - always good unless they sneak in some crap but if you're warrantied that won't happen.
They replaced the front rotors and lower steering column. While the new brakes are not squealing, it still comes to stop (and starts) with a jerk. It is almost like brakes stop the car a tad bit before it should have. This is consistent from before brake pad/ motor change. The loaner 2018 Q5 had no such problems. It stopped and started smoothly.

Wondering if this is just normal for pre-2018 Q5? Is there anything else that needs to be checked for braking?
Old 08-01-2017, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Neils09
They replaced the front rotors and lower steering column. While the new brakes are not squealing, it still comes to stop (and starts) with a jerk. It is almost like brakes stop the car a tad bit before it should have. This is consistent from before brake pad/ motor change. The loaner 2018 Q5 had no such problems. It stopped and started smoothly.

Wondering if this is just normal for pre-2018 Q5? Is there anything else that needs to be checked for braking?
You may want to "bed" your new brakes. Here is background and technique.

https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech....jsp?techid=85