Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2016 SQ5 MMI Navigation Plus and lack of USB ports.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 SQ5 MMI Navigation Plus and lack of USB ports.

Hi all,

As I'm about to finalize ordering a 2016 SQ5 I have a couple of questions. 1) I currently connect my iPhone to my USB port in my Infiniti. I noticed with the SQ5 there are no USB ports. Instead there is a cable that you can get special Audi adapters. Do you find that this work just as well? Also, are there any other additional easter eggs that the MMI Navigation Plus system has? For instance do you need a data plan to see real time traffic for google maps built in or is this extra and/or require data from your phone?

I've realized as I come to a close with deciding on whether getting this or waiting for the redesigned MY2018 these are the last variables I'm considering. It is a tad disappointing that the navigation seems a bit out of date and no built in USB ports. The only thing that is really holding me back is the technology in the newer one should be better (mainly because of the virtual cockpit and USB ports) but don't think that this will / should be a deal breaker. As most of you already know the new vehicle will be built in Mexico and may need a little bit of time to work out the kinks. Would love to hear everyone's thought on this as I finalize.

Thank you,
Old 03-26-2016, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Some here think the MMI is just fine. I agree, it is out of date, significantly. You have to pay extra for Google maps by subscribing to ATT service.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:36 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I believe you still get 4 years of traffic updates from Sirius. Steve
Old 03-26-2016, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by scrmorling
I believe you still get 4 years of traffic updates from Sirius. Steve
ONLY if you pay for the service, which expires after only 3 months. The service is $16 per month.

You still do not get the Audi Connect, google earth, without subscribing to yet one more service, at $15 more per month.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 84 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
ONLY if you pay for the service, which expires after only 3 months. The service is $16 per month.

You still do not get the Audi Connect, google earth, without subscribing to yet one more service, at $15 more per month.
The traffic service is included for 4 years. Google maps and the data plan are good for six months. Sirius is only good for three months. At least that was the case for my SQ5 purchased in Aug 2015.

Last edited by dassq5; 03-26-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dassq5
The traffic service is included for 4 years. Google maps and the data plan are good for six months. At least that was the case for my SQ5 purchased in Aug 2015
I just found out that Audi Connect is NOT included in Canada which is also disappointing. I can't seem to win as 2016 also doesn't seem to have Apple Car Play. I just wished the technology was a tad bit better considering this will be a major purchase where I expect to keep the vehicle for 10 years. I've test drove the Mercedes GLC, Porsche Macan S, BMW X3. I don't have to even think twice when it comes to the feel of the car/ride.

One other thing I wanted to ask with the fine napa seats, it felt a bit stiff (but was brand new at 90KM). For those of you you have these seats have you found that they got comfortable once you got some KMs in? I do prefer the sport seats and the diamond stitching is an attractive option to me.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

The traffic service is included for 4 years. Google maps and the data plan are good for six months. Sirius is only good for three months. At least that was the case for my SQ5 purchased in Aug 2015.
I certainly could be wrong, but it is my understanding that traffic is part of the serious, or the data plan. Without it, you do not get traffic.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 84 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
I certainly could be wrong, but it is my understanding that traffic is part of the serious, or the data plan. Without it, you do not get traffic.
The salesman who sold me my SQ5 also thought the traffic info expired. Until I showed him this...

Old 03-27-2016, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

To further elaborate, in the 2016 or earlier Q5 series the traffic is provided by Sirius satellite. After the free 4 year trial, a separate traffic subscription at $3.99 @ month will be required. After the 3 month Sirius radio free trial, a subscription will also be required. The best deal right now is 5 months for $25 (offered if you threaten to not renew).

The Google Earth overlay (it's not a map) is a component of Audi Connect which, after the free trial, requires a 3G internet cellular plan by T-Mobile, AT&T or one of the third party providers, i.e. US Mobile or Truphone.

Note that with the new MY2017 Q5 series, a new MMI will be included which will use a different provider for traffic as a component of the 4G AT&T Audi Connect cellular plans (no longer sourced from Sirius satellite). Same as the MY2016+ A6/A7 series does now.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

The salesman who sold me my SQ5 also thought the traffic info expired. Until I showed him this...

OK, so serious expires, but traffic doesn't, correct?

Quick Reply: 2016 SQ5 MMI Navigation Plus and lack of USB ports.