Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2016 SQ5 Sunroof rattle...

Old 10-17-2016, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2016 SQ5 Sunroof rattle...

Wife's car had an awful rattle last spring. Car was just months old and at first we couldn't pin point the source. Finally, we figured out that opening and closing the sunroof made the noise go away for a bit. Then as local temperatures crept up the rattle diminished and finally went away.
Now it is fall and the rattle is back. Took the car in to the dealer last week and they determined that the frame was faulty. Frame replaced under warranty and rattle is gone.
Life is quiet in the Audi again!
Old 10-17-2016, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I am glad that issue was resolved. Thanks for the brief report.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:14 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Sorry to be a buzzkill but on mine the rattle came back after the frame was replaced. Maybe you will be lucky and it will stay gone. Key for me was to correctly lube the seals.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

glad you had your issue resolved, mine still persists

lubed and sealed
frame hasnt been replaced, but basically if i put a piece of anything in the top left corner that pushes the sunroof up a little bit it stops the rattle. this sounds like frame to me, but ill live it before they try to fix it and some other issue comes out of it

its this video that scares me:
Old 10-18-2016, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DocTJ
glad you had your issue resolved, mine still persists

lubed and sealed
frame hasnt been replaced, but basically if i put a piece of anything in the top left corner that pushes the sunroof up a little bit it stops the rattle. this sounds like frame to me, but ill live it before they try to fix it and some other issue comes out of it

its this video that scares me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5zo5oVMvIw
I owned a European auto repair shop and of course began in the business as a mechanic. I used to love showing people their cars when I had one disassembled...

You get used to seeing them this way, it's no big deal!

Ours is quiet now, we will see for how long.
Bruce
Old 10-25-2016, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just took my 2016 SQ5 in for its first service at 5K. I told them of a rattle in the pano roof and was advised that there is actually a service bulletin out for that issue. Going to order new frame and do the repair. That picture above already has given me sleepless nights. At least my family owns the Audi dealership so if they mess it up, I know who to talk to! LOL
Old 10-28-2016, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SQ5guyinSoCal
Just took my 2016 SQ5 in for its first service at 5K. I told them of a rattle in the pano roof and was advised that there is actually a service bulletin out for that issue. Going to order new frame and do the repair. That picture above already has given me sleepless nights. At least my family owns the Audi dealership so if they mess it up, I know who to talk to! LOL
hhahah hope it all works out for you
Old 10-29-2016, 01:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

New frame has been quiet as a mouse so far.
I spent my working life running a European auto repair shop and I am aware of sunroof noises due to improper lube. I even have a tube of Audi's preferred sunroof lube kicking around somewhere. Believe me when I tell you, this was no simple lube noise!
The car is much nicer now that it doesn't sound like it is about to loose a major component with every little bump...
Bruce
Old 10-29-2016, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce B
Wife's car had an awful rattle last spring. Car was just months old and at first we couldn't pin point the source. Finally, we figured out that opening and closing the sunroof made the noise go away for a bit. Then as local temperatures crept up the rattle diminished and finally went away.
Now it is fall and the rattle is back. Took the car in to the dealer last week and they determined that the frame was faulty. Frame replaced under warranty and rattle is gone.
Life is quiet in the Audi again!
Brought mine in and dealer did tsb applying felt. Didnt work. Its much worse when cool and raining for some reason. Was hesitant to have them take apart interior but noise is too annoying. Going back to replace frame next week. Ill keep everyone posted.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ssteigss
Brought mine in and dealer did tsb applying felt. Didnt work. Its much worse when cool and raining for some reason. Was hesitant to have them take apart interior but noise is too annoying. Going back to replace frame next week. Ill keep everyone posted.
thank you

please do

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 SQ5 Sunroof rattle...