Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2017 Q5 S liner Engine braking in wet weather

Old 10-13-2018, 04:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Q5 S liner Engine braking in wet weather

During wet weather event, my Q5 engine will break, slowing me down considerably and not letting me power up. My Audi dealer says he has never had this complaint. He went on to say the Audi breaking system has sensors in the breaks that will react of snow conditions. The idea is the engine will break the speed (slow down)of the vehicle. This situation is not only annoying it is dangerous in wet weather. I live in an area where the winters are long, snow is deep and never had this breaking system engage in snow. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 10-13-2018, 09:28 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Can you explain in a little more detail? What situation are you driving in, going down hill?, in "D", "S", "M"? Pouring rain or just mildly moist? The engine downshifts or the ABS/ESP is engaging?
Old 10-13-2018, 01:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

First let me apologize to the forum. I have a 2016 Q5 3.0 S liner sport package with 20" tires. Fat fingers hit 2107. Now to the point. I first noticed the issue traveling on the highway at 60 mph. The rain was heavy and I ran through a large puddle on the highway. My Q5 immediately slowed and the engine growled. I stomped on the accelerator but no response. 100' after clearing the puddle the power came back. It was rain pretty hard and it was not long before the standing water on the highway was causing the same issue. The engine bogs down and no matter how much gas I give it, the car stays at that speed for a few seconds. This only happens in moderate to heavy rain events, and mostly on the highway.

When I brought my Q5 into the dealer for service they said they have never had this type of complaint. When I picked the car up later the service manager said they could not find anything wrong and no error codes. Interestingly he mentioned something about the brakes have sensors that will make the engine break, normally designed for snow conditions. It has never happened in the snow. However, when he said engine break, the light went on for me, I been around big trucks and they have engine breaks that the driver can actuate without using the breaks. The exact same thing is happening to my car and it even makes a similar noise. It only happens in moderate to heavy rain events. If I go through a large puddle it happens. If there is enough standing water on the payment it seems to collect and then the same thing happens. I own an A6 3.2 sedan and never have a problem. I have owned 2 other A6 wagons and never had this problem.

Thank you for any insight you can offer.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by VTaudiQ5S
First let me apologize to the forum. I have a 2016 Q5 3.0 S liner sport package with 20" tires. Fat fingers hit 2107. Now to the point. I first noticed the issue traveling on the highway at 60 mph. The rain was heavy and I ran through a large puddle on the highway. My Q5 immediately slowed and the engine growled. I stomped on the accelerator but no response. 100' after clearing the puddle the power came back. It was rain pretty hard and it was not long before the standing water on the highway was causing the same issue. The engine bogs down and no matter how much gas I give it, the car stays at that speed for a few seconds. This only happens in moderate to heavy rain events, and mostly on the highway.

When I brought my Q5 into the dealer for service they said they have never had this type of complaint. When I picked the car up later the service manager said they could not find anything wrong and no error codes. Interestingly he mentioned something about the brakes have sensors that will make the engine break, normally designed for snow conditions. It has never happened in the snow. However, when he said engine break, the light went on for me, I been around big trucks and they have engine breaks that the driver can actuate without using the breaks. The exact same thing is happening to my car and it even makes a similar noise. It only happens in moderate to heavy rain events. If I go through a large puddle it happens. If there is enough standing water on the payment it seems to collect and then the same thing happens. I own an A6 3.2 sedan and never have a problem. I have owned 2 other A6 wagons and never had this problem.

Thank you for any insight you can offer.
First the word is "brakes", not "breaks". Thus "engine braking", not engine breaks (fails).

1. If the Q5 senses major wheel spin, such as going through water at speed with applied acceleration, it will apply the brakes to the wheel with the least traction. This could be sensed as an engine not accelerating anymore for a few seconds.

2. If windshield wipers are on, the braking ABS system pulsates the brake pads every so often to remove water from the rotors to try and keep them as dry as possible. Maybe you have a malfunctioning rotor wipe problem.

3. Maybe you just have the engine cutting out when the engine wiring/connectors/modules are splashed with water, an electrical issue.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:23 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Yeah from your description you are driving through large puddles of standing water over 50mph. You are probably hydroplaning and either ABS or ESP are kicking in and limiting power. So when you "stomp on the accelerator" it will have no response because the vehicle is in an emergency situation to try to get you to slow down. Perhaps you had better tires on the A6 or its lower center of gravity never triggered this behavior or newer ESP programming in newer car, could be almost anything.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

So just as a suggestion but not necessarily the safest method for some. Have you tried driving through heavy rain/standing water to replicate the problem but with the traction control off? It doesn't fully disengage the TC but it allows a wider set of parameters be for intervening giving the driver a little more control.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Bob,
Thank you for your points and taking the time to provide some insight.
1. When this happens, I don't feel as if I have lost traction, even from one wheel but I suppose it is possible and I just don't notice it.
2. I did not realize there was a relationship between the windshield wipers and the ABS braking system. Regardless, I do not notice (feel) any pulsating at the foot pedal or sitting in the drivers seat. I would consider that process a great benefit and it may be happening, I just don't feel it.
3. The engine cutting out due to wiring getting wet could be the root cause. I would think though the loss of power would last longer, once wet, the wires would stay wet and be problematic and erratic, until they dried out.
Remember, it appears the engine is braking, making a growling noise and lasting a few seconds. Stepping down on the gas pedal to give the engine more power has no affect. It is only when I clear the large puddle and the speed is reduced, I regain power. In the case of heavy rain and standing water on the pavement (no puddles) it appears speed is a contributing factor. It is as if at higher speeds water is collecting under or in the underside of the car. Once enough water has collected, the engine starts braking.

I cannot thank you enough for your support.

Mark
Old 10-14-2018, 06:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

To gk1 & Warhead,
All good points. Tires were new when I first noticed this situation but the system could be sensing hydroplaning. I have never felt as though the car was hydroplaning but the system may be.

I may try turning off the traction control and see what happens (responsibly). Could be a good test.

I guess the only other question I have to the group is, has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Thanks again, great group in this forum. I appreciate all the input.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Bob,
1. When this happens, I don't feel as if I have lost traction, even from one wheel but I suppose it is possible and I just don't notice it.
2. I did not realize there was a relationship between the windshield wipers and the ABS braking system. Regardless, I do not notice (feel) any pulsating at the foot pedal or sitting in the drivers seat. I would consider that process a great benefit and it may be happening, I just don't feel it.
3. The engine cutting out due to wiring getting wet could be the root cause. I would think though the loss of power would last longer, once wet, the wires would stay wet and be problematic and erratic, until they dried out.
Remember, it appears the engine is braking, making a growling noise and lasting a few seconds. Stepping down on the gas pedal to give the engine more power has no affect. It is only when I clear the large puddle and the speed is reduced, I regain power. In the case of heavy rain and standing water on the pavement (no puddles) it appears speed is a contributing factor. It is as if at higher speeds water is collecting under or in the underside of the car. Once enough water has collected, the engine starts braking.

Mark
After an event like this happens have you checked your air filter to see if it is wet? It almost sounds like your engine is ingesting water.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Bob,

Mark

As others stated it sounds like hydroplaning, loss of traction, ABS auto braking to spinning wheel to compensate, engine can't pull as hard. Running the suggested test with traction control off should tell you something.

BTW, when the ABS pulses the brake pads with the wipers running, you won't feel it in the brake pedal.

Could there be something else, sure............

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 Q5 S liner Engine braking in wet weather