Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2018 Matrix headlights are $7,000+ (US$) per pair

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bhiggins80@gmail.com
Don't get me started! The sun visor clip on my Q5 was $60, same part on my Mazda, $0.75. Same Chinese injection moulded plastic.
That's why I bought my replacement sun visor clip on Ebay for about $6.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
I guess you don't read a lot here on AW..........

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...ights-2921762/

And Audi is not covering them under warranty.......

So if my 2014 Honda CRV headlights turn foggy and yellow, it costs me $500 to replace them. A few bolts and they are out

My 2014 Audi Q5 headlights are crazing from the inside due to lousy costly UV resistant resin, that will cost me $3200 to replace them.
The front bumper, and many other parts need to be removed to replace the Q5 headlights!!!
No you are incorrect, I do read the forums. Sorry for your dilemma.
So I can see that your situation is very rare and unfortunate that Audi won't stand behind the problem. I bet the resin was not dried correctly when your headlight(s) were molded. So there is a bad batch out there. And they probably looked good initially.
Crazing and plastic part defects are very rarely caused by the resin and then by contamination usually. On a clear part, contamination is easy to see. Since your problem is not on all parts molded the part design is not suspect. Crazing is usually caused by not correctly drying the resin of moisture. Headlights/taillights I have been involved with are made from poly-carbonate. If the PC resin is not dried correctly before molding the polymer chains are much shorter than designed due to hydrolysis at the processing temperature. Those shorter polymer chains can easily cause crazing, cracking and distortion. And this can occur later.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
No you are incorrect, I do read the forums. Sorry for your dilemma.
So I can see that your situation is very rare and unfortunate that Audi won't stand behind the problem. I bet the resin was not dried correctly when your headlight(s) were molded. So there is a bad batch out there. And they probably looked good initially.
Crazing and plastic part defects are very rarely caused by the resin and then by contamination usually. On a clear part, contamination is easy to see. Since your problem is not on all parts molded the part design is not suspect. Crazing is usually caused by not correctly drying the resin of moisture. Headlights/taillights I have been involved with are made from poly-carbonate. If the PC resin is not dried correctly before molding the polymer chains are much shorter than designed due to hydrolysis at the processing temperature. Those shorter polymer chains can easily cause crazing, cracking and distortion. And this can occur later.
VW, BMW, and MB are having the same headlight lens problems. Audi's current ruling on the lens issue is that this is normal wear and tear, not so......