Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

3.0 TFSI vs TDI

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We went through the same decision in trying to decide between the 3.0T and the TDI. I really wanted to get the TDI, but once we sat down and looked at our driving patterns (mostly short trip city driving for 7-8 months of the year), we decided that the gas version was the way to go.

One big concern for me with the large amount of short term trips was that the DPF might get clogged and require replacement. You need to get some highway driving in on a regular basis to keep it clean but based on our driving patterns that wasn't going to happen. They have been having some problems over in Europe with this issue lately from what I have read. We could have made a choice to go out for highway cruises each week to solve that problem, but then again, going for extra unneeded trips kind of negated the increased fuel mileage argument for us.

Most of our trips in the fall, winter, and spring might only last for 10-15 minutes at a time in the city, which isn't nearly enough for the DPF to go through the cleaning process (regeneration). I talked to the salesman and a buddy who was a diesel mechanic and they both concurred. As a result we ordered the gas version.

Other people have brought up points as well about the availability of diesel in their neck of the woods. We wouldn't have that problem here, but there were other factors that made us choose the gas version.

To each his own.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by idale
That's really odd, aren't you in Dallas? Here in Austin almost all stations have diesel and most anywhere I've stopped on road trips have had it (or a nearby station did). Some stations with diesel don't advertise it on the price board, but maybe your area really doesn't have much... it would just be a little odd especially here in Texas with all the diesel trucks around.
I am in a corner of Dallas were we do not have much truck traffic. They are around, just not convenient for the weekly fill up
Old 11-04-2013, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bosyork
I buying car for the first time.

I am contemplating between gas and diesel.

Yearly, I don't think I would drive more than 10k-12k . mostly in the city.

Which is better? (some may say 2.0 but I def like the 6 cyl even if I am driving on highway not that often)

Maths suggest that I will save only about $20 bucks a month on gas so will take 8-10 yrs to get the price difference back.

Should I consider any other costs between diesel and gas?
Is diesel better than gas engines in long run (5-7 yrs)?

any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Have you test driven the 2.0T? You might be surprised how nice it is mated with the 8-speed tranny.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Xylar5
I am in a corner of Dallas were we do not have much truck traffic. They are around, just not convenient for the weekly fill up
Weird, but okay then!